Thermal Activation of Boron- and Phosphorus-Doped Amorphous Silicon and the Contribution to Improved Efficiency in Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Solar Cells
- 12 Downloads
Hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H) is an interesting candidate as an absorber material for solar cells. Despite the wealth of research to improve the efficiency of a-Si:H solar cells by improving either the material quality of the absorber layer or by means of light trapping approaches, efforts to improve the efficiency by means of doped layer manipulation are relatively rare. In this work, single-junction a-Si:H solar cells with improved efficiency due to thermal activation of doped layers via thermal annealing will be presented. Temperature-dependent dark conductivity measurements revealed that p- and n-type doped a-Si:H materials show different equilibrium temperatures. External quantum efficiency at different annealing temperatures revealed that front surface collection probability was improved with the activation of a p layer, after which the collection probability of the back surface was improved with the activation of an n layer.
KeywordsAmorphous silicon Solar cells Dopant activation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP) and by the Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE) of the Republic of Korea (Grant Nos. 20183010013900 and 20183010013880).
- N. Wyrsch, S. Dunand and C. Ballif, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Spring Meet. Symp. A 12, 1066-A10-04 (2008).Google Scholar
- J. Plentz et al., Mater. Sci. Eng. B. 12, 34 (2016).Google Scholar
- H. Song et al., Nano Energy 12, 1 (2017).Google Scholar
- S. Choi et al., Sci. Rep. 12, 12853 (2017).Google Scholar
- K. H. Kim et al., Sci. Rep. 12, 40553 (2017).Google Scholar
- T. Matsui et al., Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 12, 08KB10 (2015).Google Scholar
- K. H. Kim, E. V. Johnson and P. Roca i Cabarrocas, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 12, 208 (2012).Google Scholar
- J. Meier et al., Thin Solid Films 451-452, 24 (2004).Google Scholar
- P. R. i Cabarrocas, Ph.D. Thesis, Universite Paris VII, 1988.Google Scholar
- R. A. Street, J. Kakalios and T. M. Hayes, Phys. Rev. B 12, 3030 (1986).Google Scholar
- J. H. Yoon, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 266-269, 455 (2000).Google Scholar
- K. H. Kim, E. V. Johnson and P. Roca i Cabarrocas, Solar Energy 12, 86 (2017).Google Scholar
- K. H. Kim, S. Kasouit, E. V. Johnson and P. Roca i Cabarrocas, Sol. Energy Mat. Sol. Cells 12, 124 (2013).Google Scholar
- C. Lee, A. Sazonov, A. Nathanb and J. Robertson, Appl. Phys. Lett. 12, 252101 (2006).Google Scholar
- K. Takimoto et al., J. Non-Cryst. Solid 299-302, 314 (2002).Google Scholar