Physical Issues and Applications of Resistive Switching Phenomena
- 72 Downloads
Resistive switching phenomena have been attracting much interest due to their various physical mechanisms and industrial potential as prospective candidates for next-generation non-volatile memories. Because diverse resistive switching behaviors have been observed in a wide variety of materials, various mechanisms and applications are proposed. In this paper, we appropriately categorize resistive switching behaviors based on their physical mechanisms, such as formation/rupture of conductive filament, Schottky barrier modulation, valence changing, and conductive bridging. Memristive behaviors of resistive switching materials are also addressed because they have potential for neuromorphic devices. In addition, we introduce several problems raised during materialization of cross point array of resistive switching memories and suggested solutions.
KeywordsResistive switching Next-generation non-volatile memory Physical mechanism Memristive behavior Cross point array
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grants funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (No. 2013R1A3A2042120), Nano Material Technology Development Program through NRF funded by the MSIP (No. 2016M3A7B4909668), and Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) grant funded by the Korean government (18ZB1800, Development of Neuromorphic Hardware by using High Performance Memristor Device based on Ultra-thin Film Structure).
- I. G. Baek, M. S. Lee, S. Sco, M. J. Lee, D. H. Seo, D. S. Suh, J. C. Park, S. O. Park, H. S. Kim, I. K. Yoo, U. I. Chung and J. T. Moon, IEDM Technical Digest. IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (2004).Google Scholar
- H. Sim, H. Choi, D. Lee, M. Chang, D. Choi, Y. Son, EH. Lee, W. Kim, Y. Park, I-K. Yoo and H. Hwang, IEDM Technical Digest. IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (2005).Google Scholar
- S. Wu, X. Luo, S. Turner, H. Peng, W. Lin, J. Ding, A. David, B. Wang, G. van Tendeloo, J. Wang and T. Wu, Phys. Rev. X 3, 041027 (2013).Google Scholar
- A. Sawa, Mater. Today 11, 28 (2008).Google Scholar
- H. S. Yoon, I. G. Baek, J. Zhao, H. Sim, M. Y. Park, H. Lee, G. H. Oh, J. C. Shin and I. S. Y. A. U-I. Chung, Symposium on VLSI Technology Digest of Technical Papers 1 (2009).Google Scholar