Comparative Study of Cu2Te and Cu Back Contact in CdS/CdTe Solar Cell
- 16 Downloads
In CdS/CdTe solar cells, Cu is added during the formation of the metallic electrode to enhance the contact properties and achieve an appropriate hole concentration in the cadmium telluride (CdTe) layer. In this study, we added Cu to CdS/CdTe solar cells using two different electrode materials: metallic Cu and Cu2Te layers. They were deposited on the CdTe surface in the CdS/CdTe solar cells, and subsequent annealing was carried out to form a single-phase copper telluride compound. The devices made by these two materials were comparatively investigated in terms of their contact properties such as barrier height, hole density, and contact resistance. Most of the data indicate that the Cu2Te-deposited cell is superior to the Cu-deposited cell. Furthermore, we obtained an optimum annealing condition for the Cu2Te process, at which the cell performance is maximized. These results demonstrate the excellence of the Cu2Te material and provide practical information about the processing technique of this material.
KeywordsCdS/CdTe Cu2Te Solar cell Copper telluride Barrier height
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Luque and S. Hegedus, (eds) Handbook of Photovoltaic Science and Engineering (Wiley, 2011), Chap. 13, p. 14.Google Scholar
- N. Romeo, A. Bosio, S. Mazzamuto, A. Romeo and L. Vaillant-Roca, Proc. 22nd EU Photovolt. Solar Energy Conf. (2007), p. 1919.Google Scholar
- T. A. Gessert et al., Proc. 31st IEEE Photovolt. Specialists Conf. (2005), p. 291.Google Scholar
- G. Stollwerck and J. R. Sites, Proc. 13th EU Photovolt. Solar Energy Conf. (1995), p. 2020.Google Scholar
- S. M. Sze and M. K. Lee, Semiconductor Devices Physics and Technology, 3rd ed. (2012), p. 234.Google Scholar
- G. T. Koishiyev, J. R. Sites, S. S. Kulkarni and N. G. Dhere, Proc. 33rd IEEE PVSC (2008).Google Scholar
- A. Fahrenbruch, Proc. 33rd IEEE PVSC (2008), p. 2152.Google Scholar
- J. R. Sites, Annual Report, Colorado State University (2002).Google Scholar
- A. Romeo, D. L. Bätzner, H. Zogg and A. N. Tiwari, Proc. 16th EU Photovolt. Solar Energy Conf. (2000), p. 353.Google Scholar
- K. Dieter, Semiconductor Material and Device Characterization, 3rd ed. (2006), p. 138.Google Scholar