Terahertz Imager Based on a THz-to-IR Converter
- 8 Downloads
A new terahertz (THz) imager based on THz-to-IR conversion has been proposed and studied. The THz-to-IR converter consists of an ultra-thin resonant THz absorber (meta-absorber) whose backside is coated with an emission layer with an emission factor close to unity. The absorption of THz radiation leads to converter heating, which is recorded by an IR camera from the emission layer side. The small thickness of the converter (more than 50 times smaller than the working wavelength of THz radiation) determines its low heat capacity, resulting in an increase in the sensitivity and operating speed of the imager. Optimization of the optics of the THz imager, making cuts in the converter structure to reduce the blooming and increase the response, and the IR image processing method increasing the signal-to-noise ratio, provided the sensitivity of the THz imager similar to the sensitivity of thermal detectors in the 8–12 μm IR range.
Keywordsterahertz radiation terahertz image detectors THz-to-IR conversion image processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.F. F. Sizov, M. V. Apatskaya, Zh. F. Gumenyuk-Sychevskaya, et al., “HgCdTe Multi-Element Terahertz Detectors,” Prikl. Fiz., No. 2, 61–66 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.E. S. Zhukova, B. P. Gorshunov, V. A. Yur’ev, et al., “Absorption of Terahertz Radiation in Ge/Si(001) Heterostructures with Quantum Dots,” Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 92 (12), 887–883 (2010) [JETP Lett. 92 (12), 793–798 (2010)].Google Scholar
- 7.H. Matsuo, H. Nagata, Y. Mori, and S. Arioshi, “Performance of SIS Photon Detectors for Superconductive Imaging Submillimeter–Wave Camera (SISCAM),” Proc. SPIE 6275, 627504 (2006).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Semenov, G. N. Gol’tsman, and R. Sobolewski,. “Hot-Electron Effect in Semiconductors and its Application for Radiation Sensors,” LLE Rev. 87, 134–143 (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Yao, J. Li, D. C. Liu, et al., “Development of a 0.85 THz Nb-AlN-NbN Superconductor-Insulator-Superconductor Mixer,” in Proc. of the 10th Global Symposium on Millimeter-Waves (GSMM 2017), Hong Kong, China, 24–26 May, 2017. P. 117–119.Google Scholar
- 11.Pyrocam TM IV. Ophir-Spiricon, LLC. https://www.ophiropt.com/laser-measurement/beam-profilers/products/Beam-Profiling/Camera-Profiling-with-BeamGage/Pyrocam-IV.Google Scholar
- 12.Terahertz cameras Terasense Group, Inc. http://terasense.com/products/sub-thz-imaging-cameras.Google Scholar
- 13.D. H. Martin, P. L. Richards, and G. R. Wilkinson, Spectroscopic Techniques for Far Infra-red, Submillimetre and Millimetre Waves (Elsevier, 1967; Mir, Moscow, 1970).Google Scholar
- 14.Thermal Image Plates. Macken Instruments Incorporated. http://www.macken.com.Google Scholar
- 17.C. A. Kuznetsov, A. N. Gentselev, and C. H. Baev,“Implementation of High-Pass Subterahertz Filters using High-Aspect-Ratio Polymeric Structures,” 53 (1), 108–116 (2017) [Avtometriya Optoelecton., Instrum. Data Process. 53 (1), 88–95 (2017)].Google Scholar