Investigation of spherisation in microstructures of aluminium casting alloys for thixoforging process
- 36 Downloads
Thixoforging combined with low superheat casting (LSC) is a promising shaping process for aluminium casting alloys. LSC process is based on rapid solidification of an alloy which cast with low pouring temperature. With this method, a feedstock material is produced with non-dendritic microstructure that ready for spherisation in reheating sequence of further semi-solid process. Al-Si alloys are still castable even at low temperatures due to their excellent fluidities. This study subjects to present spherisation of A356 and A380 alloy billets cast with LSC process that provides appropriate beginning material with relatively high sphericity. Obtained billet parts were reheated for different times at a semi-solid state temperature. Some of these billets were directly quenched for observing the effects of reheating and the others were thixoforged. With sufficient reheating time, deformation of thixoforging process did not significantly affect on the spherical microstructure. Unnecessarily long reheating period caused excessive grain growth. A356 alloy had higher spherisation tendency than A380 alloy under similar process conditions.
KeywordsThixoforging low superheat casting (LSC) A356 alloy A380 alloy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wang, S.C., Zhou, N., Qi, W.J., and Zheng, K.H., Microstructure and mechanical properties of A356 aluminum alloy wheels prepared by thixo-forging combined with a low superheat casting process, Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China (English Ed.), 2014, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 2214–2219.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Salleh, M.S., Omar, M.Z., Alhawari, K.S., Mohammed, M.N., Ali, M.A.M., and Mohamad, E., Microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of thixoformed A319 alloys containing variable amounts of magnesium, Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China, 2016, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 2029–2042.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ogris, E., Development of Al–Si–Mg alloys for semisolid processing and Silicon Spheroidization Treatment (SST) for Al–Si cast alloys, 2002, no. 14803, p. 138.Google Scholar
- 14.Chalmers, B., The structure of ingots, J. Aust. Inst. Met., 1963, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 255–263.Google Scholar
- 15.ASM Handbook, Vol. 2: Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials, USA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 16.Ostwald, W., Studies on the formation and transformation of solid bodies, Z. Phys. Chem., 1897, vol. 22, pp. 289–330.Google Scholar