The Effect of Si Substitution for SiC on SHS in the Ti–Si–C System
- 6 Downloads
Investigated was the effect of Si substitution for SiC on SHS in the Ti–Si–C system. Starting powders were intermixed to obtain 3Ti–SiC–C and 3Ti–Si–2C green mixtures and then green compacts by uniaxial pressing. The influence of heating rate, reactor temperature, and replacement of SiC by Si was studied by XRD, SEM, and TEM. In combustion products obtained in optimized conditions, Ti3SiC2 was found to be predominant. In comparison with conventional methods, our products obtained in a one-step low-temperature process contained minimal amounts of undesired impurities and required no finishing processes such as chemical purification.
KeywordsSHS Ti–Si–C system Ti3SiC2 SiC Si reaction parameters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barsoum, M., El-Raghy, T., and Radovic, M., Ti3SiC2: A Layered machinable ductile carbide, Int. Ceram. Rev., 2000, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 226–233.Google Scholar
- 3.http://www.u.arizona.edu/~liddelow/structure.html.Google Scholar
- 10.Riley, D.P., Kisi, E.H., Hansen, T.C., and Hewat, W., Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of Ti3SiC2: I. Ultra-high-speed neutron diffraction study of the reaction mechanism, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 2002, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 2417–2424. doi 10.1111/j.1151-2916.2002.tb00474.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Tayebifard, S.A., The effect of aluminum additive on phase transformation and microstructure of SHS-pro-duced MoSi2-based compounds, Ph.D. Thesis, Tehran: Materials and Energy Research Center, 2006.Google Scholar
- 14.Grigoryan, H.E., Rogachev, A.S., Ponomarev, V.I., and Levashov, A.E., Product structure formation at gasless combustion in the Ti–Si–C system, Int. J. Self-Propag. High-Temp. Synth., 1998, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 507–516.Google Scholar
- 15.Grigoryan, H.E., Rogachev, A.S., and Sytschev, A.E., Gasless combustion in the Ti–Si–C system, Int. J. Self-Propag. High-Temp. Synth., 1997, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–39.Google Scholar
- 16.Grigoryan, H.E., Rakhbari, R.G., Rogachev, A.S., Levashov, E.A., Ponomarev, V.I., Sheveiko, A.N., Shtanskii, D.V., and Ivanov, A.N., Structure and properties of composite targets formed upon combustion in the Ti–Si–C system, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Tsvetn. Metall., 2000, no. 1, pp. 55–69.Google Scholar