Syllable Segmentation of Tamil Speech Signals Using Vowel Onset Point and Spectral Transition Measure
Segmentation plays vital role in speech recognition systems. An automatic segmentation of Tamil speech into syllable has been carried out using Vowel Onset Point (VOP) and Spectral Transition Measure (STM). VOP is a phonetic event used to identify the beginning point of the vowel in speech signals. Spectral Transition Measure is performed to find the significant spectral changes in speech utterances. The performance of the proposed syllable segmentation method is measured corresponding to manual segmentation and compared with the exiting syllable method using VOP and Vowel Offset Point (VOF). The result of the experiments shows the effectiveness of the proposed system.
Keywordssyllable segmentation spectral transition measure vowel onset point vowel offset point linear prediction cepstral coefficients
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gangashetty, S.V., Sekhar, C.C., and Yegnanarayana, B., Spotting multilingual consonant-vowel units of speech using neural network models, International Conference on Nonlinear Analyses and Algorithms for Speech Processing; Lect. Notes Comput. Sci., 2005, vol. 3817, pp. 303–317.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Karunakaran, K., Jeya, V., and Mozhyiyal, Kavitha pathipagam, India, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Sridhar Krishna, N. and Murthy, H.A., Duration modeling of Indian languages Hindi and Telugu, SSW5, 2004, pp. 197–202.Google Scholar
- 5.Anantha Natarajan, V. and Jothilakshmi, S., Segmentation of continuous speech into consonant and vowel units using formant frequencies, Int. J. Comput. Appl., 2012, vol. 56, no.15.Google Scholar
- 7.Lawrence Rabiner and Biing-Hwang Juang, Fundamentals of Speech Recognition, Prentice Hall, 1993, pp. 102–108.Google Scholar
- 8.Vuppala, A.K., Rao, K.S., and Chakrabarti, S., Improved vowel onset point detection using epoch intervals, AEU—Int. J. Electron. Commun., 2012, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 697–700.Google Scholar
- 11.Linear Prediction Analysis. iitg.vlab.co.in/?sub=59&brch=164&sim=616&cnt=1108.Google Scholar
- 12.Prasanna, S.R.M. and Yegnanarayana, B., Detection of vowel onset point events using excitation information, Ninth European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology, 2005.Google Scholar
- 13.Gabor, D., Theory of communication, J. Inst. Electr. Eng., Part 1, 1947, vol. 94, no. 73, p.58.Google Scholar
- 15.Dusan, S. and Rabiner, L., On the relation between maximum spectral transition positions and phone boundaries, Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, 2006, pp. 645–648.Google Scholar