Numerical Simulation of Adiabatic Shear-Band Formation in Composites
- 14 Downloads
The process of plastic flow localization in a composite material consisting of welded steel and copper plates under shear strain is considered. The mathematical model of this physical process is formulated. A new numerical algorithm based on the Courant–Isaacson–Rees scheme is proposed. The algorithm is verified using three test problems. The algorithm efficiency and performance are proved by the test simulations. The proposed algorithm is used for numerical simulation of plastic strain localization on composite materials. The influence of boundary conditions, the initial plastic strain rate, and the width of the materials forming the composite bar on the localization process is studied. It is demonstrated that at the initial stage, the shear velocity for the material layers varies. Theoretical estimates of the oscillation frequency and period are proposed; the calculations using these estimates agree completely with the numerical experiments. It is established that the deformation is localized in the copper part of the composite. One or two localization regions situated at a typical distance from the boundaries are formed, depending on the width of the steel and copper parts, as well as the initial plastic strain rate and the chosen boundary conditions. The dependence of this distance on the initial plastic strain rate is demonstrated and corresponding estimates for boundary conditions of two types are obtained. It is established that in the case of two localization regions, the temperature and deformation in one of them increase much faster than in the other, while at the initial stage these quantities are nearly equal in both regions.
Keywordsshear band plastic flow localization plastic strain numerical simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Moss, G., Shear strains, strain rates, temperature changes in adiabatic shear bands, in Waves and High Strain Rate Phenomena in Metals, Meyers, L. and MurrShock, L., Eds., Springer, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Rogers, H.C., Adiabatic plastic deformation, Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci., 1979, vol. 9.Google Scholar
- 5.Bai, Y. and Dodd, B., Adiabatic Shear Localization, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Nesterenko, V.F. and Bondar, M.P., Investigation of deformation localization by the ‘thick-walled cylinder’ method, DYMAT J., 1994, vol. 1, pp. 245–251.Google Scholar
- 20.Koshkin, V.I., Kudryashov, N.A., and Ryabov, P.N., Numerical simulation of the formation of adiabatic shear bands under deformations, Yad. Fiz. Inzh., 2010, vol. 1, pp. 465–474.Google Scholar