Comparison of Alleles at Gli-2 Loci of Common Wheat by Means of Two-Dimensional Electrophoresis of Gliadin
Electrophoretic mobility (EM) and molecular weight (MW) of some allelic variants of α- and β-gliadins contrlled by Gli-2 loci were compared by means of two-dimensional (APAGE × SDS) electrophoresis. Comparison of α-gliadins of the alleles Gli-A2b and Gli-A2p, of β-gliadins of the Gli-B2b and Gli-B2c, and of β-gliadins of the Gli-D2b, Gli-D2c, Gli-D2j, and Gli-D2r indicated that a gliadin with lower EM had, as a rule, bigger MW which is known to depend on the length of the polyglutamine domain of gliadin of α-type. However, allelic variants of the α-gliadin encoded by Gli-D2b and Gli-D2e differ in EM but not in apparent MW. It might be caused by a substitution of some charged/uncharged aminoacids in the polypeptide of gliadin. Allele Gli-B2o which is very frequent in up-to-date common wheat germplasm originated probably by means of unequal crossingover. Some alleles at Gli-A2 is found to control completely different blocks of gliadins and therefore might come to common wheat from different genotypes of the polymorphic diploid donor of the A genome. The results indicate that the reason of the known more vast polymorphism of gliadins controlled by Gli-2 loci as compared with Gli-1 loci is the considerable difference of the structure, first, of Gli-1 and Gli-2 loci (Gli-2 loci have more expressed genes per locus) and, second, of genes encoding gliadins of α- and γ-types (α-gliadins are shown to contain a long polyglutamine sequences highly variable in their length).
Keywordsgliadin alleles mutations common wheat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Sozinov, A.A. and Poperelya, F.A., Genetic classification of prolamins and its use for plant breeding, Ann. Technol. Agric., 1980, vol. 29, pp. 229–245.Google Scholar
- 3.Sobko, T.A. and Poperelya, F.A., Frequencies of occurrence of alleles of gliadin-coding loci in winter common wheat, Visn. S.-G. Nauki, 1986, no. 5, pp. 84–87.Google Scholar
- 4.Metakovsky, E.V., Gliadin allele identification in common wheat. 2. Catalogue of gliadin alleles in common wheat, J. Genet. Breed., 1991, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 325–344.Google Scholar
- 5.Metakovsky, E.V., Davydov, S.D., Chernakov, V.M., and Upelniek, V.P., Gliadin allele identification in common wheat. 3. Frequency of occurrence and appearance of spontaneous mutations at the gliadin-coding loci, J. Genet. Breed., 1993, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 221–236.Google Scholar
- 6.Upelniek, V.P., Novoselskaya, A.Yu., Sutka, J., Galiba, G., and Metakovsky, E.V., Genetic variation at storage protein coding loci of common wheat (cv Chinese Spring) induced by nitrosoethylurea and by cultivation of immature embryos in vitro, Theor. Appl. Genet., 1995, vol. 90, nos. 3–4, pp. 372–379.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kasarda, D.D., Okita, T.W., Bernardin, J.E., Baecker, P.A., Nimmo, C.C., Lew, J.L., Dietler, M.D., and Green, F.C., Nucleic acid (cDNA) and amino acid sequence of α-type gliadins from wheat (Triticum aestivum), Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 1984, vol. 81, no. 15, pp. 4712–4716.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Metakovsky, E.V., Wheat Grain Storage Proteins: Classical Genetics, Mutations, Phylogeny, Seed Breeding, and Grain Quality, Lambert Acad. Publ., 2015, 320 p.Google Scholar
- 15.Sapirstein, H.D. and Bushuk, W., Computer-aided wheat cultivar identification and analysis of densitometric scanning profiles of gliadin electrophoregrams, Seed Sci. Technol., 1986, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 489–517.Google Scholar
- 16.Koval, S.F. and Metakovsky, E.V., Adaptive value of some quantitative and qualitative characters in the experimental hybrid population of T. aestivum, Selskokhoz. Biol., 1985, no. 11, pp. 48–52.Google Scholar
- 17.Huang, Z., Long, H., Wei, Y.-M., Yan, Z.H., and Zheng, Y.L., Allelic variations of α-gliadin genes from species of Aegilops section Sitopsis and insights into evolution of α-gliadin multigene family among Triticum and Aegilops, Genetics, 2016, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 213–222.Google Scholar
- 18.Metakovsky, E.V. and Sozinov, A.A., Genetics of gliadin proteins and the problems of interpreting results obtained with somaclonal variation in wheat, in Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry (Wheat), Bajaj, Y.P.S., Ed., 1990, vol. 13, pp. 526–537.Google Scholar
- 23.Wang, S., Shen, X., Ge, P., Saminathan, J.L., Li, S.X., Zeller, F.J., Hsam, K.L., and Yan, Y., Molecular characterization and dynamic expression patterns of two types of γ-gliadin genes from Aegilops and Triticum species, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2012, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 1371–1384.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar