Structure of Ni3Al Single Crystal after Severe Plastic Deformation
Synchrotron X-ray diffraction study of L12 ordered Ni3Al single crystals was performed. The ultrafine-grained structure resulting from severe plastic deformation was studied. In the initial state, the ordered single crystal is oriented along the  compression axis. Along with the ordered phase, there is a small fraction of disordered crystal oriented along the  axis. Compression of the samples and subsequent torsion at different angles led to disturbance of the single crystallinity of the sample and a change in the state of the atomic order up to the disappearance of the L12 superstructure.
Keywordssingle crystal L12 superstructure superdislocation long-range order synchrotron radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The X-ray synchrotron measurements were carried out using of the Shared-Use Center “Siberian Synchrotron and Terahertz Radiation Center (SSTRC)” based on VEPP-3/VEPP-4M/NovoFEL of BINP SB RAS. The work was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (project RFMEFI62117X0012).
- 1.R. W. Guard and J. H. Westbrook, “Alloying Behavior of Ni3Al (γ’ Phase),” Trans. Met. Soc. AIME. 215, 807–813 (1959).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Goldberg, M. Demura, and T. Hirano, “High Temperature Yield Strength of Binary Stoichiometric and Al-Rich Ni3Al Single Crystals,” in Proc. of the 2nd Intern. Symp. on Structural Intermetallics, Pennsylvania, USA, 21–25 Sept., 1997, pp. 749–758.Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Korznikov, G. F. Korznikova, S. R. Idrisova, et al., “The Effect of Small Additions of Boron on the Structural Evolution of Nanocrystalline Ni3Al during Heat Treatment,” Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie 87(6), 80–86 (1999).Google Scholar
- 6.S. V. Starenchenko, I. P. Zamyatina, and V. A. Starenchenko, “Deformation Effect on the State of the Long-Range Atomic Order of Coarse-Crystalline Ni3Al and Single-Crystallinity Ni3Fe Alloys,” Izv. Vuzov. Fizika 45(8), 12–20 (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.A. E. Vol and I. K. Kagan, The Structure and Properties of Binary Metallic Systems. Vol. III (Nauka, Moscow, 1976) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.S. V. Starenchenko, V. A. Starenchenko, and I. P. Radchenko, “Study of the Long-Range Order under Plastic Deformation in Single Crystal Ni3Fe (Thin and Thick Plates),” in Particle and Continuum Aspects of Mesomechanics, Ed. by G. C. Sih, M. Nait-Abdelaziz, and T. Vu-Khanh (ISTE Ltd, London, 2007), pp. 55–62.Google Scholar
- 11.S. V. Starenchenko and V. A. Starenchenko, “Special Features of the Deformation-Induced Order-Disorder Phase Transition and its Modeling,” Izv. Vuzov, Fizika 49(1), 9–24 (2006).Google Scholar
- 12.S. V. Starenchenko and V. A. Starenchenko, “Deformation-Induced Phase Order-Disorder Phase Transition and Its Mechanisms,” Izv. Vuzov 47(9), 21–32 (2004).Google Scholar