Nonlinear Numerical Model of Friction Heating during Rotary Friction Welding
A calculation procedure to determine the temperature field during rotary friction welding of metal is proposed. An axisymmetric nonlinear boundary value problem of heat conduction taking into account the frictional heating of two cylinders (specimens) of finite length is formulated. It is assumed that the materials of specimens are thermally sensitive, and the friction coefficient depends on temperature. The solution of the problem is obtained by the finite element method. The numerical analysis was carried out for two identical specimens made of AISI 1040 grade steel.
Keywords:friction welding friction heating temperature finite element method
This work is a part of scientific-research project no. S/WM/1/2018, which was realised at Bialystok University of Technology.
- 5.Lebedev, V.K., Chernenko, I.A., Mikhal’ski, R., and Vill’, V.I., Svarka treniem (Welding by Friction), Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Cheng, C.J., Transient temperature distribution during friction welding of two similar materials in tubular form, Weld. J., 1962, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 542–550.Google Scholar
- 11.Fu, L. and Duan, L., The coupled deformation and heat flow analysis by finite element method during friction welding, Weld. J., 1998, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 202–207.Google Scholar
- 17.Ling, F.F., Surface Mechanics, New York: Wiley. 1973.Google Scholar
- 18.COMSOL Multiphysics v. 5.2a, Stockholm, 2016. http://www.comsol.com.Google Scholar
- 19.High-Temperature Property Data: Ferrous Alloys, Rothman, M.F., Ed., Materials Park, OH: ASM Int., 1988.Google Scholar