Effect of Clay Slime on the Froth Stability and Flotation Performance of Bastnaesite with Different Particle Sizes
- 3 Downloads
To investigate the effect of kaolin particles on the flotation performance and froth stability of different particle sizes of bastnaesite, batch flotation tests and froth stability experiments were performed. The results demonstrated that poor froth stability of the coarse particle size bastnaesite led to poor flotation recovery. The medium particle size led to appropriate froth stability and also improved the recovery of bastnaesite. The fine particle size yielded an excessively stable froth, yet did not increase the adherence of bastnaesite particles to the bubbles, but it may have increased the entrainment of kaolin. A longer flotation time may have contributed to improving the recovery of the fine size fraction bastnaesite due to its greater flotation rate. Yet, it had little impact on the recovery of the coarse-grained bastnaesite. In addition, a low proportion (20%) of kaolin improved the recovery and flotation rate of the coarse size fraction bastnaesite. In general, however, the presence of kaolin was detrimental to the flotation performance of bastnaesite. Moreover, the presence of kaolin increased the froth stability of the bastnaesite and resulted in more hydrophilic kaolin particles being entrained into the concentrate products.
Keywords:froth stability, kaolin bastnaesite, recovery, particle size
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support provided by Sichuan Key Technologies R&D Program of China (no. 15ZC1801) and High-end Leader Talent Cultivation Special Funded Project of Guangdong Academy of Sciences (no. 2017GDASCX-0301).
- 6.Amelunxen, P., Sandoval, G., Barriga, D., and Amelunxen, R., The implications of the froth recovery at the laboratory scale, Miner. Eng., 2014, vols. 66–68, pp. 54–61.Google Scholar
- 12.Ara, S., Phenomena in the froth phase of flotation—A review, Int. J. Miner. Process., 2012, vols. 102–103, pp. 1–12.Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, Y., Peng, Y., Nicholson, T., and Lauten, R.A., The different effects of bentonite and kaolin on copper flotation, Miner. Eng., 2015, vol. 114, pp. 48–52.Google Scholar
- 20.Farrokhpay, S., Ndlovu, B., and Bradshaw, D., Behaviour of swelling clays versus non-swelling clays in flotation, Miner. Eng., 2016, vols. 96–97, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- 22.Ozdemir, O., Specific ion effect of chloride salts on collectorless flotation of coal, Miner. Process., 2013, vol. 49, pp. 511–524.Google Scholar
- 23.Farrokhpay, S., Ndlovu, B., and Bradshaw, D., Behaviour of swelling clays versus non-swelling clays in flotation, Miner. Eng., 2016, vols. 96–97, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- 32.Lima, N.P., Pinto, T.C.D.S., Tavares, A.C., and Sweet, J., The entrainment effect on the performance of iron ore reverse flotation, Miner. Eng., 2016, vols. 96–97, pp. 53–58.Google Scholar