Axisymmetric Helical Flows of Viscous Fluid
- 3 Downloads
In this paper, helical flows are flows in which the velocity vector is collinear to the vorticity vector. For an ideal fluid, examples of stationary helical flows are known (Gromeka-Beltrami flows, ABC-flows, etc.) and it has long been proven that the existence of unsteady helical flows is impossible (Beltrami, 1889). For a viscous fluid, examples of unsteady helical flows are known (Trkal, 1919). But it is still unknown whether there can exist a stationary helical flow of incompressible fluid. In the present paper this question is investigated using the Navier-Stokes equations in the axisymmetric case. It was assumed that the coefficient of proportionality between the vorticity and velocity may depend on the spatial coordinates. It is shown that in the axisymmetric case, the stationary helical flows of viscous incompressible fluid are impossible.
Key wordshelical flow Navier-Stokes equations axisymmetric flow of viscous fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gromeka, I. S. “Some Cases of Motion of Incompressible Fluid”, Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta III, 1–104 (1882).Google Scholar
- 3.Arnold, V. I. “Sur la Topologie des Écoulements Stationnaires des Fluids Parfaits”, Comptes Rendus Acad Sci Paris 261, 17–20 (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.Kovalev, V. P., Sizykh, G. B. “Axisymmetric Helical Flows of Ideal Fluid”, Trudy MFTI 8, No. 3, 171–179 (2016).Google Scholar
- 9.Trkal, V. “Poznámka k Hydrodynamice Vazkých Tekutin”, Časopis pro pĕstování matematiky a fysiky (Praha) 48, No. 3, 302–311 (1919).Google Scholar
- 10.Kovalev, V. P., Prosviryakov, E. Yu., Sisykh, G. B. “Obtaining Examples of Exact Solutions to Navier-Stokes Equations for Helical Flows by Method of Summing Velocities”, Trudy MFTI 9, No. 1, 71–88 (2017).Google Scholar
- 11.Byušgens, S. S. “On Helical Flow”, Nauchnye Zapiski Moskovskogo gidromeliorativnogo instituta (MGMI) 17, 73–90 (1948).Google Scholar
- 13.Loitsyanskii, L. G. Mechanics of Fluid and Gas (Drofa, Moscow, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar