A Novel Fast Partition Algorithm Based on EDGE Information in HEVC
- 14 Downloads
High efficiency video coding (HEVC) introduces a well-designed quad-tree structure to improve coding efficiency. During quad-tree building, the encoder tries all possible coding unit (CU) partition schemes to determine the optimal one with the minimum rate distortion cost, which introduces high computation complexity. To deal with this problem, a fast algorithm based on edge information is proposed to accelerate CU splitting in this paper. Firstly, the depth and prediction mode of adjacent blocks are obtained and used to facilitate rough partition. Secondly, the edge pixel values of this CU are counted and analyzed to fine-tune the partition. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm can reduce coding time by 35.7% on average, with an acceptable loss of Bjøntegaard delta rate of 0.6%.
Keywords:HEVC coding unit splitting edge information
All authors made substantial contributions to conception and design, analysis, and interpretation of data, and critical review of the manuscript. Zhi Liu carried out the idea and design of the study, and wrote the manuscript. Mengmeng Zhang got the funding for the study, and helped rewrite the manuscript substantially during the revision process. Delun Lai carried out the experiments, and performed the statistical analyses. Changzhi An optimized the experimental codes, and edited the manuscript.
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 61370111), Beijing Municipal Natural Science Foundation (no. 4172020), Great Wall Scholar Project of Beijing Municipal Education Commission (CIT&TCD20180304), Beijing Youth Talent Project (CIT&TCD 201504001), and Beijing Municipal Education Commission General Program (KM201610009003).
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 1.ISO/IEC 23008-2, Recommendation ITU-T H.265, 2013.Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, X.J. and Xue, Y.L., Fast HEVC inter prediction algorithm based on spatio-temporal block information, 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting (BMSB), 2017, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 5.Fang, M.Y., Wen, J.T., and Han, Y.X., Probabilistic graphical model based fast HEVC inter prediction, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2017, pp. 16–20.Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, R.X., He, G., Li, Y.S., and Wang, K.Y., Fast algorithm for prediction unit and mode decisions of intra depth coding in 3D-HEVC, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2016, pp. 1121–1125.Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, C. and Feng, G., Fast mode decision algorithm for depth map intra coding in 3DHEVC, Comput. Eng. Appl., 2017, vol. 53, pp. 206–210.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou, J.B., Zhou, D.J., Wang, S.H., Zhang, S.P., Yoshimura, T., and Goto, S., A dual-clock VLSI design of H.265 sample adaptive offset estimation for 8k Ultra-HD TV encoding, IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI)Syst., 2017, vol. 25, pp. 714–724.Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y., Bordes, P., Poirier, T., and Racape, F., Optimization of sample adaptive band offset in HEVC, 2017 Data Compression Conference (DCC), 2017, pp. 434–434.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, M.M., Dou, S.P., and Liu, Z., Early CU size determination based on image complexity in HEVC, 2017 Data Compression Conference (DCC), 2017, pp. 474–474.Google Scholar
- 16.Huang, H. and Wei, F., Fast algorithm based on edge density and gradient angle for intra encoding in HEVC, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Network Infrastructure and Digital Content, 2016, pp. 347–351.Google Scholar
- 17.Luo, F.L., Wang, S.S., Ma, S.W., Zhang, N., Zhou, Y., and Gao, W., Fast intra coding unit size decision for HEVC with GPU based keypoint detection, 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), 2017, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar