Radiocarbon Dating of the Dynamics of Landslides in the Upper Reaches of the Mzymta River Basin (Western Caucasus)
- 10 Downloads
The article contains materials on the study of landslide deposits in the upper reaches of the Mzymta river basin. The results of 14C analysis showed that the youngest landslides are common on the southern slope of the Psekhako Ridge and date back to less than 200 and 390 ± 90, 400 ± 70 cal. years BP and more than 770 ± 150 cal. years BP. The most ancient landslide-collapse on the northern slope of the Aibga Ridge and dates back to 1110 ± 90 cal. years BP.
Keywordslandslide radiocarbon dating radiocarbon age organic matter Mzymta River valley Western Caucasus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anan’in, I.V., Seismichnost’ Severnogo Kavkaza (Seismicity of North Caucasus), Moscow: Nauka, 1977.Google Scholar
- Booth, A.M., LaHusen, S.R., Duvall, A.R., and Montgomery, D.R., Holocene history of deep-seated landsliding in the North Fork Stillaguamish River valley from surface roughness analysis, radiocarbon dating, and numerical landscape evolution modeling, J. Geophys. Res., Earth Surface, 2017, vol. 122, pp. 456–472.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Godzikovskaya, A.A., Katalog zemletryasenii Kavkaza s M = 4.0 (K = 11.0) s drevneishikh vremen po 2000 g. (Catalogue of Earthquakes with M = 4.0 (K = 11.0) in the Caucasus with from the ancient time to 2000), Moscow: Tsentr Sluzhby Geodinam. Nablyudenii v Elektroenerg. Otrasli. Min. Topl. Energetiki, 2001.Google Scholar
- Hancox, G.T., Langridge, R.M., Perrin, N.O., et al., Recent mapping and radiocarbon dating of three giant landslides in northern Fiordland, New Zealand, in GNS Sci. Rep. 2012/45. August 2013, Inst. Geol. Nucl. Sci. Limited, 2013.Google Scholar
- Khromovskikh, V.S., Solonenko, V.P., Semenov, R.M., and Zhilkin, V.M., Paleoseismogeologiya Bol’shogo Kavkaza (Paleoseismology of the Greater Caucasus), Moscow: Nauka, 1979.Google Scholar
- Ovsyuchenko, A.N., Men’shikov, M.Yu., Rogozhin, E.A., and Korzhenkov, A.M., Cycles of seismic activity in the second half of the Holocene in the Western Caucasus and their correlation with stages of civilization development: A case study of the upper reach of the Mzymta River, Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys., 2016, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 816–840.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit. Research Laboratory for Archaeology. https://doi.org/c14.arch.ox.ac.uk
- Slyshkina, E.S., Baranov, A.A., and Bershov, A.V., Stability calculation of the northern slope of the Aibga Ridge near the Esto-Sadok village (Sochi,Krasnodar Krai), Inzh. Geol., 2015, no. 6, pp. 62–70.Google Scholar
- Slyshkina, E.S., Bershov, A.V., Baranov, A.A., et al., Modern activity of landslides on the southern slope of the Psekhako Ridge in the Mzymta River basin) (Sochi, Krasnodar Krai), Inzh. Geol., 2016, no. 3, pp. 68–78.Google Scholar
- Vasil’chuk, Yu.K. and Kotlyakov, V.M., Osnovy izotopnoi geokriologii i glyatsiologii: Uchebnik (Principles of Isotope Geocryology and Glaciology. A comprehensive textbook), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 2000.Google Scholar