An Asymptotically Optimal Algorithm for the Search for and Evaluation of the Slichter Mode from Long-Term Strain Data
The Slichter mode (1S1) is the longest-period mode of Earth’s free oscillations. The period of this mode depends on the difference between the densities of the outer liquid and inner solid cores, thus making its detection very important for the refinement of models of the Earth. Despite numerous attempts at detecting this mode with the use of a network of superconducting gravimeters, there currently is no confirmed experimental data on the observation of the Slichter mode due to its small amplitude on the surface. In this work, it is proposed to detect the Slichter mode using the data from the laser interferometer-strainmeter of the Sternberg State Astronomical Institute of the Moscow State University (Northern Caucasus) with a measuring arm length of 75 m. For this purpose, an asymptotically optimal algorithm was developed for the analysis of data with consideration for their statistical properties, and the processing of synthetic data was modeled to estimate the magnitude of the possible observed effect and the detection indicators.
KeywordsEarth’s free oscillations Slichter mode deformation modeling asymptotically optimal algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Dahlen and J. Tromp, Theoretical Global Seismology (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 1998).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Rosat, in Dynamic Planet, Ed. by P. Tregoning and C. Rizos (Springer, 2007), p. 571. doi https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-49350-1_83
- 18.V. K. Milyukov, Izv., Phys. Solid Earth 41, 267 (2005).Google Scholar
- 20.Yu. G. Sosulin, Theoretical Foundations of Radio Detection and Navigation (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1992).Google Scholar
- 21.P. S. Akimov, P. A. Bakut, V. A. Bogdanovich, et al., Theory of Signal Detection (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1984).Google Scholar
- 22.V. K. Milyukov, M.P. Vinogradov, A. P. Mironov, et al., Geophys. Res. Abstr. 20, EGU2018–3964 (2018).Google Scholar