Optimal Integration of the Components of the Global Network of Gravitational-Wave Antennas
- 2 Downloads
This paper considers the problem of optimal integration of the components of the global network of laser gravitational-wave antennas in order to improve the detection efficiency and to better estimate the parameters of astrophysical gravitational-wave signals. A quasi-harmonic burst (chirp) that accompanies the merger of a relativistic binary star at the end of its evolution has been selected as a signal. The shape of such a signal is known up to a set of parameters to be estimated against the background of large coherent and stochastic noise. An alternative possibility of taking into account the coherent excitation phase of individual detectors (component integration by input) is analyzed in addition to the well-known method for filtering output signals by coincidence in time (component integration by output). Statistical detection characteristics for both modes are calculated. The method typical for problems of distinguishing deterministic signals in radar systems is used. A significant increase in detection efficiency during the input integration of network components is shown.
Keywordsgravitational-wave radiation gravitational-wave antennas merger of relativistic binary stars global network of gravitational-wave detectors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Y. M. Hu, P. Raffai, L. Gondan, et al., arXiv:1409.2875 [astro-ph.IM].Google Scholar
- 11.L. S. Finn, arXiv:gr-qc/0010033.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Wald, Statistical Decision Functions (Chelsea Pub. Co., 1971).Google Scholar
- 13.H. L. Van Trees, Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, Part I (Wiley, 2004).Google Scholar
- 14.V. I. Tikhonov, Optimum Signal Reception (Sov. Radio, Moscow, 1983).Google Scholar
- 15.B. R. Levin, Theoretical Foundations of Statistical Radio Engineering (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1992).Google Scholar
- 16.Yu. G. Sosulin, Theoretical Foundations of Radio Detection and Navigation (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1992).Google Scholar
- 17.C. W. Misner, K. Thorne, and J. Wheeler, Gravitation (W. H. Freeman, San Francisco, 1977).Google Scholar