Novel Fundaments to Characterize and to Assess the Material Quality for High Photon Beam Filtration Efficiency
- 1 Downloads
The objective of this study is to introduce novel fundaments to characterize and assess the material behaviors on photon beam attenuation and beam softening for high filtration system quality. This study was done by Monte Carlo method using BEAMnrc code and BEAMDP code. After validation of Monte Carlo model of linear accelerator with flattening filter; the later was replaced by material slab of aluminum and copper with different thickness. The photon beam attenuation was evaluated for primary photon fluence and secondary photon fluence for checking the dependence on energy; the beam softening was also evaluated based on beam attenuation coefficients. Based on the beam softening coefficients that were correlated by attenuation coefficients, the softening index was introduced as a new parameter to assess the material effects for high filtration system quality. These novel fundaments allow assessing the quality of a material for high photon beam filtration system quality.
KeywordsSlab thickness Monte Carlo simulation material actions BEAMnrc code BEAMDP code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
As authors, we would like to thank Varian Medical Systems for providing us the Varian Clinac 2100 geometry data and giving us this opportunity to study the Varian linear accelerator technology and to participate in its future development.
- 8.M. Bencheikh, A. Maghnouj, J. Tajmouati, and A. Didi, Phys. AUC 27, 50 (2017).Google Scholar
- 12.THERAPLAN Plus Technical Reference Manual, 18th ed. (MDS Nordion, 2000).Google Scholar
- 13.D. W. O. Rogers, B. Walters, and I. Kawrakow, BEAMnrc Users Manual (National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 2013), pp. 12–254.Google Scholar
- 14.D. W. O. Rogers, I. Kawrakow, J. P. Seuntjens, B. Walters, and H. E. Mainegra, NRC User Codes for EGSnrc (National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 2013), pp. 6–83.Google Scholar
- 17.C. M. Ma and D. W. O. Rogers, BEAMDP Users Manual (National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 2013), pp. 3–24.Google Scholar
- 18.M. Aljamal and A. Zakaria, Aust. J. Basic Appl. Sci. 7, 340 (2004).Google Scholar
- 19.Commissioning and Quality Assurance of Computerized Planning Systems for Radiation Treatment of Cancer (International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 2004).Google Scholar
- 20.Specification and Acceptance Testing of Radiotherapy Treatment Planning Systems (International Atomic EnergyAgency, Vienna, 2007).Google Scholar
- 21.B. Kadman, N. Chawapun, S. Ua-apisitwong, T. Asakit, N. Chumpu, and J. Rueansri, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 694, 012023 (2016).Google Scholar