Synthesis, characterization and photoluminescence properties of Ce3+-doped ZnO-nanophosphors
- 692 Downloads
The present study involves the synthesis of Ce3+ doped ZnO nanophosphors by the zinc nitrate and cerium nitrate co-precipitation method. The synthesized nanophosphors were characterized with respect to their crystal structure, crystal morphology, particle size and photoluminescence (PL) properties using X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM)/energy dispersive X-ray (EDX), transmission electron microscopy (TEM)/Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and PL-spectroscopy respectively. XRD results revealed that ZnO nanophosphors are single phase and cubic type structures. Further, PL spectra of ZnO:Ce3+ nanophosphors showed green emission because of the charge transfer at single occupied oxygen vacancies with ZnO holes and red emission due to the cerium ion transitions. Intensity and fine structure of the Ce3+ luminescence and its temperature dependence are strongly influenced by the doping conditions. The formation of ZnO:Ce3+ nanophosphors was confirmed by Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and XRD spectra.
Keywordsnanophosphors doping co-precipitation FTIR photoluminescence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Djelloul, A., Aida, M. S.,& Bougdira, J. (2010). Photoluminescence, FTIR and X-ray diffraction studies on undoped and Al-doped ZnO thin films grown on polycrystalline α-alumina substrates by ultrasonic spray pyrolysis. Journal of Luminescence, 130, 2113–2117. DOI: 10.1016/j.jlumin.2010.06.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kaschner, A., Haboeck, U., Strassburg, M., Strassburg, M., Kaczmarczyk, G., Hoffmann, A., Thomsen, C., Zeuner, A., Alves, H. R., Hofmann, D. M.,& Meyer, B. K. (2002). Nitrogen-related local vibrational modes in ZnO:N. Applied Physics Letters, 80, 1909–1911. DOI: 10.1063/1.1461903.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumar, V., Mishra, V., Biggs, M. M., Nagpure, I. M., Ntwaeaborwa, O. M., Terblans, J. J.,& Swart, H. C. (2010). Electron beam induced green luminescence and degradation study of CaS:Ce nanocrystalline phosphors for FED applications. Applied Surface Science, 256, 1720–1724. DOI:10.1016/j.apsusc.2009.09.101.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumaran, S. M.,& Gopalakrishnan, R. (2012). Structural, optical and photoluminescence properties of Zn1−xCexO (x = 0, 0.05 and 0.1) nanoparticles by sol-gel method annealed under Ar atmosphere. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 62, 193–200. DOI: 10.1007/s10971-012-2708-8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moghaddam, A. B., Nazari, T., Badraghi, J.,& Kazemzad, M. (2009). Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles and electrodeposition of polypyrrole/ZnO nanocomposite films. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 4, 247–257.Google Scholar
- Nalwa, H. S., & Rohwer, L. S. (2003). Handbook of luminescence, display materials, and devices: Inorganic display. California, CA, USA: American Scientific Publishers.Google Scholar