Liquid chromatographic determination of meloxicam in serum after solid phase extraction
- 73 Downloads
A liquid chromatographic method for the determination of meloxicam in serum has been developed. The technique includes a solid phase extraction of the serum samples on [poly (divinylbenzeneco-N-vinylpyrrolidone)] as a solid phase extraction sorbent. After conditioning, the cartridge was loaded with 1 mL of acidified serum containing an internal standard. Elution was carried out using 1 mL of water-acetonitrile (φ r = 1: 1) mixture. After evaporation of the eluate to dryness and reconstitution of the residue with 0.1 mL of methanol, the samples were analyzed on a Symmetry C18 column. Mobile phase consisted of 1 % aqueous acetic acid/THF/acetonitrile (φ r = 60: 30: 10) + 0.1 mL of 1-octane sulfonic acid. Detection was carried out using a photodiode array detector. Full validation of the proposed method is provided. Linearity of the method was proven over the range of 0.01–10 φg mL−1 of meloxicam. Meloxicam assay was accurate and reliable with average intra- and inter-day precisions lower than 5.0 % and the intra- and inter-day accuracy higher than 97 %. Limits of detection (LOD) and quantitation (LOQ) found were 0.003 μg mL−1 and 0.01 μg mL−1, respectively. The proposed method was successfully utilized to quantify meloxicam in serum.
Keywordsliquid chromatography solid phase extraction photodiode array detector meloxicam serum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altiokka, G., Atkosar, Z., & Tuncel, M. (2001). Pulse polarographic determination of meloxicam. Pharmazie, 56, 184–185.Google Scholar
- Busch, U., Schmid, J., Heinzel, G., Schmaus, H., Baierl, J., Huber, C., & Roth, W. (1998). Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in animals and the relevance to humans. Drug Metabolism and Disposition, 26, 576–584.Google Scholar
- García, M. S., Sánchez-Pedreño, C., Albero, M. I., & Martí, J. (2000). Spectrophotometric methods for determining meloxicam in pharmaceuticals using batch and flow-injection procedures. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 9, 311–316. DOI: 10.1016/S0928-0987(99)00069-X.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Igualada, C., Moragues, F., & Pitarch, J. (2007). Rapid method for the determination of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in animal tissue by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry with ion-trap detector. Analytica Chimica Acta, 586, 432–439. DOI: 10.1016/j.aca.2006.10.040.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nageswara Rao, R., Meena, S., & Raghuram Rao, A. (2005). An overview of the recent developments in analytical methodologies for determination of COX-2 inhibitors in bulk drugs, pharmaceuticals and biological matrices. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 39, 349–363. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2005.03.040.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rigato, H. M., Duarte Mendes, G., Carter do Carmo Borges, N., & Moreno, R. A. (2006). Meloxicam determination in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS-MS) in Brazilian bioequivalence studies. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 44, 489–498.Google Scholar
- Sener, E., Altiokka, G., Atkosar, Z., & Tuncel, M. (2001). Flow injection analysis of meloxicam using UV-detection. Pharmazie, 56, 186–187.Google Scholar
- Shukla, M., Singh, G., Sindhura, B. G., Telang, A. G., Rao, G. S., & Malik, J. K. (2007). Comparative plasma pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in sheep and goats following intravenous administration. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 145, 528–532. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpc.2007.01.020.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Türck, D., Roth, W., & Busch, U. (1996). A review of the clinical pharmacokinetics of meloxicam. British Journal of Rheumatology, 35, 13–16.Google Scholar
- Velpandian, T., Jaiswal, J., Bhardwaj, R. K., & Gupta, S. K. (2000). Development and validation of a new high-performance liquid chromatographic estimation method of meloxicam in biological samples. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications, 738, 431–436. DOI: 10.1016/S0378-4347(99)00537-X.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wiesner, J. L., de Jager, A. D., Sutherland, F. C. W., Hundt, H. K. L., Swart, K. J., Hundt, A. F., & Els, J. (2003). Sensitive and rapid liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of meloxicam in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography B, 785, 115–121. DOI: 10.1016/S1570-0232(02)00862-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar