Synthesis of 1-phenylbut-3-ene-1,2-dione and its attempted radical polymerization
- 91 Downloads
1,2-Diketone moiety-bearing monomer 1-phenylbut-3-ene-1,2-dione, an analogue of phenyl vinyl ketone, was synthesized from 4-chlorobutyryl chloride in a 29 % overall yield in five steps. Following acylation of benzene with 4-chlorobutyryl chloride, the resulting α-methylene group was oxidized to 1,2-diketone in three steps: successive bromination, substitution with lithium hydroxide, and oxidation of α-hydroxyketone with potassium dichromate. The final step was dehydrochlorination of 4-chloro-1-phenyl-butane-1,2-dione. The attempted copolymerization of this monomer with styrene, using AIBN as the initiator, was unsuccessful.
Keywords1,2-diketones phenyl vinyl ketone benzil photodegradable polymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bevington, J. C. (1989). Overall mechanisms. In G. Allen, & J. C. Bevington (Eds.), Comprehensive polymer science (Vol. 3, Chap. 6, pp. 65–84). Oxford, UK: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Hrdlovič, P., & Lukáč, I. (1982). Photolysis of poly(1-(4-substituted phenyl)-2-propen-1-ones): The Norrish type II reaction in polymers. In N. Grassie (Ed.), Developments in polymer degradation (Vol. 4, pp. 101). London, UK: Applied Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hrdlovič, P., Lukáč, I., & Maňásek, Z. (1972) Effect of triplet quenchers on the photolysis of poly(vinyl phenyl ketone) in film. Chemical Papers-Chemické Zvesti, 26, 433–440.Google Scholar
- Husár, B. (2004) Preparation of monomers and polymers containing 1,2-dicarbonyl group and photoperoxidation of 1,2-dicarbonyl group in polymer matrix. MSc. thesis, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic.Google Scholar
- Rabek, J. F. (1987) Mechanisms of photophysical processes and photochemical reactions in polymers. Chichester, UK: Wiley.Google Scholar