Multi-elemental analysis of marine sediment reference material MESS-3: one-step microwave digestion and determination by high resolution inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (HR-ICP-MS)
- 163 Downloads
Single-step microwave digestion methods using four different acidic dissolving reagents were investigated with the main objective to obtain a simple, rapid method for multi-elemental analysis of marine sediment samples by high resolution inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (HRICP-MS), especially for environmental studies. Closed-vessels microwave digestion procedures were carried out using the reagents as follows: HNO3, mixture of HNO3-HCl (φ r = 9: 1), aqua regia, and mixture of HNO3-HCl-HF (φ r = 8: 1: 1). The elements analyzed were: Al, As, Ba, Be, Bi, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, Fe, K, Li, Mn, Mo, Na, Ni, Pb, Sb, Sn, Sr, Ti, Tl, V, and Zn. Good recoveries were established for many of the metals analyzed even when only nitric acid was employed. However, for a good recovery of Sb and Tl, aqua regia should be employed.
Keywordsrapid elemental analysis inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry microwave digestion marine sediment trace elements
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Begum, Z., Balaram, V., Ahmad, S. M., Satyanarayanan, M., & Rao, T. G. (2007). Determination of trace and rare earth elements in marine sediment reference materials by ICPMS: Comparison of open and closed acid digestion methods. Atomic Spectroscopy, 28, 41–50.Google Scholar
- Cotton, F. A., & Wilkinson, G. (1988). Advanced inorganic chemistry (4th ed., pp. 394–401). New York, NY, USA: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Kingston, H. H., & Haswell, S. J. (1997). Microwave-enhanced chemistry, fundamentals, sample preparations and applications. Washington, DC, USA: American Chemical Society.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. D. (1996). Concise inorganic chemistry (p. 510). London, UK: Chapmann & Hall.Google Scholar
- Townsend, A. T., Palmer, A. S., Stark, S. C., Samson, C., Scouller, R. C., & Snape, I. (2007). Trace metal characterisation of marine sediment reference materials MESS-3 and PACS-2 in dilute HCl extracts. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 54, 236–239. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.11.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar