Hydnobius punctulatus Hampe, 1861 (Coleoptera: Leiodidae): Redescription of species, comments on variability and new distributional data for Central Europe
- 25 Downloads
The type specimens of Hydnobius punctulatus Hampe, 1861 were examined, redescribed and illustrated. Lectotype as well as paralectotypes were fixed by inference. The species is characterised by the form of the aedeagus with sinuate parameres and by the wide and pale antennal club. Variability is commented on basis of additional material collected in Slovakia. Records from Slovakia represent the northernmost distribution in Central Europe. Examination of other material revealed a new record of Hydnobius claviger Strand, 1943 for Slovakia.
KeywordsHydnobius punctulatus H. claviger Leiodidae Taxonomy Distribution
Oto Majzlan (Bratislava), Harald Schillhammer (NMW) and Vladimír Janský (SNM) are thanked for providing material of H. punctulatus as well as additional material of different Hydnobius species for examination. Ivan Löbl (Geneva) and Harald Schillhammer (NMW) read the manuscript, their comments are greatly appreciated. Ruben Berghmans (Wien) read the subfinal version and helped with language corrections. This study was partly supported by the Slovak Research and Development Agency, Project No. APVV-0213-10 and by the project BeeSandFish - LIFE12 NAT/SK/001137.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Daffner H (1983) Revision der paläarktischen Arten der Tribus Leiodini Leach (Coleoptera, Leiodidae). Folia Entomol Hung 44(2):9–163Google Scholar
- Hampe C (1861) Einige neue Käfer aus Croatien und Siebenbürgen. Wien Entomol Monatsschr 3(5):65–69Google Scholar
- Hlisnikovský J (1965) Liodidae II. Ergebnisse der zoologischen Forschungen von Dr. Z. Kaszab in der Mongolei (Coleoptera). Reichenbachia 7(5):57–61Google Scholar
- Hoshina H (2012) Review of the tribes Sogdini and Leiodini from Japan and north Chishima Islands. Part II. Genera Hydnobius and Leiodes (Coleoptera: Leiodidae). Acta Entomol Mus Nat Prag 52(1):1–168Google Scholar
- Lompe A (2002) Die Käfer Europas. Ein Bestimmungswerk im Internet. http://coleonet.de/coleo/index.htm. Accessed 05 February 2019
- Merkl O (2006) New beetle species in the Hungarian Fauna Coleoptera. Folia Entomol Hung 67:19–36Google Scholar
- Perreau M (2015) Family Leiodidae, subfamily Leiodinae. In: Löbl I, Löbl D (eds) Catalogue of Palaearctic Coleoptera. Hydrophiloidea – Staphylinoidea. Revised and updated edition. Brill, Leiden, pp 254–290Google Scholar