Active components of mantis eggs and their immunomodulatory effect in a mouse model
- 86 Downloads
Tenodera angustipennis is an Asian praying mantis, whose crude extracts have long been used for the prevention and treatment of bacterial and viral diseases. Despite significant progress in obtaining biomaterials from praying mantis, antiherpetic activity of T. angustipennis eggs is not well defined. In this study, we characterized the crude extracts from T. angustipennis eggs using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography (GC), and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS) methods. Inhibition of cell proliferation by mantis egg extracts and isolated components was investigated on lymphocytes in a MTT assay. Furthermore, the effects of egg extracts against the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) strain KOS (HSV-1 KOS) were evaluated in a mouse model. The HPLC and GC/MS results showed that the extracts are mainly composed of stearic acid monoterpenes, octadecanoic acid, hexadecanoic acid, and propionic acid. Investigation on the immunomodulatory effects of the extracted components following infection of mice with HSV-1 KOS virus showed an increase in serum interferon-gamma level (26.01 ± 5.21 vs. 18.67 ± 3.23 pg/mL, respectively) and interleukin-10 level (106.64 ± 4.13 vs. 48.04 ± 3.12 pg/mL, respectively) in test and control groups (for both p < 0.05). It indicates that the mantis egg components have shifted the cytokines induction to the anti-inflammatory arm and probably truncated inflammation caused by HSV-1 KOS virus. Our findings can be considered as an early attempt to reveal the comprehensive biological properties of T. angustipennis eggs as new anti-inflammatory components in future pharmaceutical investigations.
KeywordsTenodera angustipennis Praying mantis HSV-1 KOS Interferon-gamma Interleukin-10 Immunomodulation
We thankfully acknowledge all authors and coworkers for their contributions. Also, we thank Dr. Abbas Hajizade, Dr. Md. Asaduzzaman Khan, and Dr. Marzieh Dehghan Shasaltaneh who critically edited and revised the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Ethics committee approval
Ethics committee approval was received for this study from the ethics committee of the biology department at IHU University. Also, Ethical approval and written consent of the all participants- donor of blood- were taken according local ethical committee of biology department at IHU University and Declaration of Helsinki (1983 Revision).
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Abbas M, Ali A, Arshad M, Atta A, Mehmood Z, Tahir IM, Iqbal M (2018) Mutagenicity, cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of Ricinus communis different parts. Chem Central J 12:3–12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-018-0370-0
- Brannoch SK, Wieland F, Rivera J, Klass KD, Olivier B, Svenson GJ (2017) Manual of praying mantis morphology, nomenclature, and practices (Insecta, Mantodea). ZooKeys 696:1–100. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.696.12542
- Brunetti J, Falciani C, Roscia G et al (2016) In vitro and in vivo efficacy, toxicity, bio-distribution and resistance selection of a novel antibacterial drug candidate. Sci Rep 6:26077–26084. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep26077
- Cho SY, Hahn B-S, Kim YS (1999) Purification and characterization of a novel serine protease with fibrinolytic activity from Tenodera sinensis (Chinese mantis). J Biochem Mol Biol 32:579–584. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0167-4838(99)00024-2
- Eom SJ, Hwang JE, Kim KT, Paik HD (2017) Antibacterial effects against various foodborne pathogens and sensory properties of yogurt supplemented with panax ginseng marc extract. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 37:787–791. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2017.37.5.787 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fujita M, Nomura K, Hong K, Ito Y, Asada A, Nishimuro S (1993) Purification and characterization of a strong fibrinolytic enzyme (nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese natto, a popular soybean fermented food in Japan. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 197:1340–1347. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1993.2624 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gilbert S, Corey L, Cunningham A, Malkin JE, Stanberry L, Whitley R, Spruance S (2007) An update on short-course intermittent and prevention therapies for herpes labialis. Herpes 14(Suppl 1):13A–18AGoogle Scholar
- Hahn BS, Cho SY, Ahn MY, Kim YS (2001) Purification and characterization of a plasmin-like protease from Tenodera sinensis (Chinese mantis). Insect Biochem Mol Biol 31:573–581. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0167-4838(99)00024-2
- Linn CA, Griebeler EM (2016) Habitat preference of German Mantis religiosa populations (Mantodea: Mantidae) and implications for conservation. Environ Entomol 45:829–840. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/nvw056
- Matsura T, Morooka K (1983) Influences of prey density on fecundity in a mantis, Paratenodera angustipennis (S.). Oecologia 56:306–312. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00379704
- Rose RK, Hurd LE (2016) Coexistence of two congeneric praying mantids: a 7-year field study of reproductive success and failure. Environ Entomol 45:11–15. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/nvv175
- Van Rensburg CE, Anderson R, Joone G, Myer MS, O'Sullivan JF (1997) Novel tetramethylpiperidine-substituted phenazines are potent inhibitors of P-glycoprotein activity in a multidrug resistant cancer cell line. Anti-Cancer Drugs 8:708–713. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules19044380 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Westley S, Seymour R, Staines K (2011) Recurrent intra-oral herpes simplex 1 infection. Dental Update 38:368–370, 372–364. https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2011.38.6.368