Guidelines for Asthma
- 6 Downloads
International guidelines for the management of asthma are now available. These include the US National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) International Consensus for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Asthma and the NHLBI/World Health Organization Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA).
The main purpose of such guidelines is to improve the quality of care for patients with asthma. This can only be accomplished, however, if these documents are effectively utilised. Effective utilisation will require the preparation of guidelines that can be readily adapted to requirements of local healthcare providers. To do this, consideration must be given to socioeconomic and practice differences within and between countries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Field MJ, Lohr KN, editors. Institute of Medicine. Clinical practice guidelines: directions for a new program. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1990Google Scholar
- 2.Bernstein IL, Storms WW, editors. Practice parameters for allergy diagnostic testing. Ann Allergy 1995; 75(6): 553–4Google Scholar
- 4.National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. NIH/NHLBI Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention NHLBI/WHO workshop report. Global initiative for asthma. Bethesda (MD): National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute; 1995 Jan. Report no. 95-3659Google Scholar
- 5.Spector SL, Nicklas RA, editors. Practice parameters for the diagnosis and treatment of asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1995; 96 (5 Pt 2): 707–9Google Scholar
- 6.Kostreski F. Agency goes commercial: AHCPR will no longer develop guidelines. Intern Med News 1996 Jun 15: 5Google Scholar
- 10.The British Thoracic Society, National Asthma Campaign, Royal College of Physicians of London, et al. The British guidelines on asthma management: 1995 review and position statement. Thorax 1997; 52 Suppl. 1: S1–S21Google Scholar
- 13.NAEP Working Group on Asthma and Pregnancy. Management of asthma during pregnancy. Bethesda (MD): National Institutes of Health, 1993 Sep. Report no. 93-3279Google Scholar
- 14.NAEP report of the NAEPP Working Group. Considerations for diagnosing and managing asthma in the elderly. Bethesda (MD): National Institutes of Health, 1996 Feb. Report no. 96-3662Google Scholar
- 15.Sheffer AL, Buist AS, editors. Proceedings of the Asthma Mortality Task Force. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1987; 80 (3 Pt 2): 361–3Google Scholar
- 22.Smith GH. Maine’s Liability Demonstration Project: relating liability to practice parameters. In: American Medical Association State Health Legislation Report. Chicago (IL): American Medical Association, 1990: 1–5Google Scholar