Sumatriptan Delays Paracetamol Absorption in Migraine Patients
- 6 Downloads
The effect of sumatriptan 100mg orally on paracetamol absorption was evaluated in 9 migraine patients. Sumatriptan pretreatment significantly lowered the peak paracetamol concentration and also delayed the time to reach peak concentration. The paracetamol peak concentration decreased significantly from 36.28 ± 10.85 mg/L to 18.26 ± 6.7 mg/L, and the time to reach the peak was significantly delayed from 1.36 ± 0.38 hours to 2.72 ± 1.0 hours after sumatriptan treatment. The rate of absorption of paracetamol up to 3 hours was significantly reduced after sumatriptan administration. At 2 hours after sumatriptan administration, only 67% of total paracetamol was absorbed, while the absorption was 97% without sumatriptan. The total absorption of paracetamol at the end of the 8th hour was, however, not affected. These results suggest that in migraine patients there is a delay in gastric emptying time with sumatriptan. Further studies are warranted during the acute attack to elucidate the clinical significance of the present study findings.
KeywordsMigraine Paracetamol Gastric Emptying Metoclopramide Sumatriptan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Peroutka SJ. Drugs effective in the therapy of migraine. In: A Goodman Giman, TW Rail, AS Nies, et al., editors. Goodman and Gillman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 9th ed. New York: Pergamon Press, 1995; 489–501Google Scholar
- 9.Eadie MJ. Neurological diseases. In: Speight TM, editor. Avery’s Drug treatment. 3rd ed. Auckland: Adis Press, 1987: 1078–136Google Scholar
- 12.Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (1988). Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalgia 1988; 8 Suppl. 7: 1–93Google Scholar
- 14.Shargel L, Yu ABC. Pharmacokinetics of drug absorption. In: Applied biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics. 2nd ed. Connecticut: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1985: 105–28Google Scholar
- 23.Dollery C. Sumatriptan. The therapeutic drugs. Vol. 2. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone 1991; S151–4Google Scholar