Spotlight on Paricalcitol in Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- 18 Downloads
Paricalcitol (Zemplar®) is a synthetic vitamin D2 analog that inhibits the secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH) through binding to the vitamin D receptor. It is approved in the US and in most European nations for intravenous use in the prevention and treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic renal failure in adult, and in the US pediatric, patients.
Paricalcitol effectively reduced elevated serum PTH levels and was generally well tolerated in children and adults with secondary hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic renal failure. In well designed clinical trials, paricalcitol was as effective as calcitriol and as well tolerated in terms of the incidence of prolonged hypercalcemia and/or elevated calcium-phosphorus product (Ca × P). Thus, paricalcitol is a useful option for the management of secondary hyperparathyroidism in adults and children with chronic renal failure.
KeywordsSecondary Hyperparathyroidism Maintenance Hemodialysis Paricalcitol Serum iPTH Level Patient Undergo Maintenance Hemodialysis
- 10.Slatopolsky E, Cavanaugh J, Cato A. Pharmacokinetics of paracalcin (19-nor-l-α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D2) in healthy subjects [abstract no. p428]. Nephrology (Carlton) 1997 May; 3Suppl. 1: S182Google Scholar
- 11.Cato A, Buschen C, Ahmed A, et al. The pharmacokinetics of paracalcin [abstract no. PIII-95]. 98th annual meeting of the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics; 1997 Mar 5–8; San Diego, 218Google Scholar
- 13.Lutwak L. Medical officer’s review: paricalcitol injection [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/nda/98/20819_Zemplar.htm [Accessed 2004 Sep 20]Google Scholar
- 15.Cato A, Cady WW, Soltanek C, et al. Effect of hemodialysis on the pharmacokinetics of 19-nor-1-α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D2. Am J Kidney Dis 1998 Oct; 32(2 Suppl. 2): 55–60Google Scholar
- 20.Melnick JZ, Kommala D, Mattingly S, et al. Paricalcitol and calcitriol in treating SHPT in children: a comparison of 2 studies [abstract no. SU-P0930]. Proceedings of the American Society of Nephrology; 2004 Oct 27–Nov 1; St LouisGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zemplar. Clinical review: executive summary. Summaries of medical and clinical pharmacology reviews of pediatric studies [online]. Available from URL: http:/ /www.fda.gov/cder/foi/esum/2004/20819se5-014_zemplar_clinical_bpca.pdf [Accessed 2004 Sep 15]Google Scholar
- 23.Abbott Laboratories. Zemplar® paricalcitol injection [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov [Accessed 2004 Sep 29]Google Scholar