Docetaxel Plus Cisplatin
▴ Docetaxel and cisplatin are well established antineoplastic agents with activity against NSCLC. The combination exhibited additive cytotoxic activity against human NSCLC cell lines in vitro.
▴ In a large phase III trial in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced NSCLC, survival with docetaxel plus cisplatin was statistically noninferior to that with the control regimen of vinorelbine plus cisplatin. Overall response rate with docetaxelplus cisplatin was significantly higher than with the control.
▴ Median survival times, tumor response rates, and median time to progression for patients receiving docetaxel plus cisplatin were similar to those for patients receiving paclitaxel plus cisplatin in another large phase III trial.
▴ Neutropenia was the most common grade 3/4 adverse event in docetaxel/cisplatin recipients (≥69% of patients in the two large phase III trials); these proportions were not significantly different from those for patients receiving controls. Grade 3/4 vomiting, nausea, or anemia were significantly less common than with vinorelbine plus cisplatin, whereas hypersensitivity reactions were significantly more common than with paclitaxel plus cisplatin.
KeywordsPaclitaxel Docetaxel Gemcitabine Carboplatin Febrile Neutropenia
- 4.American Society of Clincal Oncology. Clinical practice guidelines: unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15(8): 2996–3018Google Scholar
- 5.Cancer Care Ontario. Chemotherapy in stage IV (metastatic) non-small cell lung cancer (practice guideline #7-2) [online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancercare.on.ca [Accessed 2003 Jul 5]
- 6.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology: non-small call lung cancer, version 1 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.nccn.org [Accessed 2003 Jul 5]
- 7.National Cancer Institute. Non-small cell lung cancer (PDQ®): treatment [online]. Available from URL: http://www.nci.nih.gov [Accessed 2003 Jul 5]
- 9.O’Dwyer PJ, Johnson SW, Hamilton TC. Cisplatin and its analogues. In: DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, editors. Cancer: principles and practice of oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott-Raven, 1997: 418–32Google Scholar
- 14.Aventis Pharmaceuticals Inc. Taxotere (docetaxel) injection concentrate — prescribing information (US) [online]. Available from URL: http://www.aventisus.com [Accessed 2003 Jul 5]
- 17.Kubota K, Watanabe K, Kunitoh H, et al. Final results of a randomized phase III trial of docetaxel and cisplatin versus vindesine and cisplatin in stage IV nonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. 1180]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 296a. Plus oral presentation at the 38th Annual Meeting of the Am Soc of Clin Oncol; 2002 May 18–21; OrlandoGoogle Scholar
- 18.Georgoulias V, Ardavanis A, Agelidou M, et al. Preliminary analysis of a multicenter phase III trial comparing docetaxel (D) versus docetaxel/cisplatin (DC) in patients with inoperable advanced and metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. 1163]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 291aGoogle Scholar
- 19.Final results of phase II randomized study of taxotere (TXT)+ cisplatin (CDDP) versus vinorelbine (V) + CDDP in patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. 1296]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21 Pt 1: 325aGoogle Scholar
- 26.Ho JCM, Tan EH, Wang CH, et al. Preliminary results of a multi-centre Asian trial of docetaxel and cisplatin in advanced non-small cell lung cancer [abstract no. 2702]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2001; 20 Pt 2: 238bGoogle Scholar
- 27.Amenedo M, Firvida JL, Gonzalez-Quintas A, et al. Docetaxel in combination with fractionated cisplatin as first line treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. 2761]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22: 687Google Scholar
- 31.Aventis Pharmaceuticals Inc. Media Release; FDA approves avenus’ taxotere for first-line treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer [online]. Available from URL: http://www.aventis.com[Accessed 2003 Jul 20]
- 32.Fossella FV, Belani CPftT3SG. Phase III study (TAX 326) of docetaxel-cisplatin (DC) and docetaxel-carboplatin (DCb) versus vinorelbine-cisplatin (VC) for the first-line treatment of advanced/metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): analysis in elderly patients [abstract no. 2528]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22: 629. Plus poster presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the Am Soc of Clin Oncol; 2003 May 31; Chicago. Plus poster presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the Am Soc of Clin Oncol 2003; Jun 3; ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 33.Langer CJ, Vangel M, Schiller J, et al. Age-specific subanalysis of ECOG 1594: fit elderly patients (70–80 yrs) with NSCLC do as well as younger patients [abstract no. 2571]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22: 639Google Scholar