Effects of ACE Inhibitors on Heart Failure in The Netherlands
A modelling approach is uscd to analyse the cost effectiveness of prescribing angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, compared with standard practice, as first-line therapeutic agents in the treatment of hean failure in The Netherlands. Data concerning costs, incidence. prevalence and survival are used to construct an age-dependent semi-Markov-chain model. Two scenarios are compared. The first reflects the continuation of common practice. The second. containing assumptions made on the basis of results from randomised clinical trials, reflects the situation in which ACE inhibitors are given as first-lin e pharmacotherapy. Conditional on the esti mates and assumptions made. it is shown that prescribing ACE inhibitors as first-tine pharmacotherapy will improve survival by about 4% over the first 10 years. and will save about 17% in costs over the first 10 years. Sensiti vity analysis shows the robustness of the conclusio ns to all major parameters.
KeywordsHeart Failure Dutch Guilder Dutch Male Hean Failure Multicenter Research Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Captopril Multicenter Research Group. A placebo-controlled trial of Captopril in refractoly chronic congestive heart faillire. Journal of the American College of Cardioqy 63: 755–763, 1983Google Scholar
- Captopril-Digoxin Multicenter Research Group. Comparative effects of therapy with caplopriland dilOain in patients with mild to moderate heart failure. Journal oftht American Medial Aswciation 259: 519–544, 1988Google Scholar
- Koopmanschap MA, Roijen L, van Bonneux L. Kosltn va n lieklen in Nederland. Report of the Depanmcnt of Public Health and Social Medicine and the Institute for Medical Tectlnoiosy Assessment, Erasmus University Rotterdam. Rollmam, 1991Google Scholar
- Koopmanschap MA, van Ineveld BM. Towards a new approach for Hlimalinl indirect costs of disease. Social Sciece and and Medicine 34: 100S–1010, 1992Google Scholar
- Remcs J, Miettinen H, Rellnantent A, Pyorala K. Validity of clinical diagnosis of heart failure in primary health care. European Hcan JOurnal 12: 315–321, 1991Google Scholar
- van der Velden J. Nationale studie van tick ten en verrichlintcn en de tluisaruenpr1lklijk. Mtdiseh Contact 45: 60–74, 1990Google Scholar