Dynamics and patterns of an activator-inhibitor model with cubic polynomial source
The dynamics of an activator-inhibitor model with general cubic polynomial source is investigated. Without diffusion, we consider the existence, stability and bifurcations of equilibria by both eigenvalue analysis and numerical methods. For the reaction-diffusion system, a Lyapunov functional is proposed to declare the global stability of constant steady states, moreover, the condition related to the activator source leading to Turing instability is obtained in the paper. In addition, taking the production rate of the activator as the bifurcation parameter, we show the decisive effect of each part in the source term on the patterns and the evolutionary process among stripes, spots and mazes. Finally, it is illustrated that weakly linear coupling in the activator-inhibitor model can cause synchronous and anti-phase patterns.
Keywordsactivator-inhibitor model cubic polynomial source Turing pattern global stability weakly linear coupling
MSC 201035B32 35B35 35B40 92C15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Abid, R. Yafia, M. A. Aziz Alaoui, H. Bouhafa, A. Abichou: Instability and pattern formation in three-species food chain model via Holling type II functional response on a circular domain. Int. J. Bifurcation Chaos Appl. Sci. Eng. 25 (2015), Article ID 1550092, 25 pages.Google Scholar
- P. Feng: Dynamics and pattern formation in a modified Leslie-Gower model with Allee effect and Bazykin functional response. Int. J. Biomath. 10 (2017), Article ID 1750073, 26 pages.Google Scholar
- A. Gierrer, H. Meinhardt: A theory of biological pattern formation. Biol. Cybern. 12 (1972), 30–39.Google Scholar
- E. W. Justh, P. S. Krishnaprasad: A Lyapunov functional for the cubic nonlinearity activator-inhibitor model equation. Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Conference on Deci-sion and Control, 1998. IEEE Control Systems Society, Piscataway, 2002, pp. 1404–1409.Google Scholar
- J. Wang, X. Hou, Z. Jing: Stripe and spot patterns in a Gierer-Meinhardt activa-tor-inhibitor model with different sources. Int. J. Bifurcation Chaos Appl. Sci. Eng. 25 (2015), Article ID 1550108, 16 pages.Google Scholar
- J. Wei, M. Winter: Existence of spikes for the Gierer-Meinhardt system in one dimen-sion. Mathematical Aspects of Pattern Formation in Biological Systems. Applied Math-ematical Sciences 189, Springer, London, 2014, pp. 13–39.Google Scholar
- R. Wu, Y. Shao, Y. Zhou, L. Chen: Turing and Hopf bifurcation of Gierer-Meinhardt activator-substrate model. Electron. J. Differ. Equ. 2017 (2017), Paper No. 173, 19 pages.Google Scholar