Calculating the transient behavior of grounding systems using inverse Laplace transform
- 121 Downloads
This paper deals with a unified and novel approach for analyzing the frequency and time domain performance of grounding systems. The proposed procedure is based on solving the full set of Maxwell’s equations in the frequency domain, and enables the exact computation of very near fields at the surface of the grounding grid, as well as far fields, by simple and accurate closed-form expressions for solving Sommerfeld integrals. In addition, the soil ionization is easily considered in the proposed method. The frequency domain responses are converted to the time domain by fast inverse Laplace transform. The results are validated and have shown acceptable accuracy.
Key wordsElectromagnetic field Near-field computation High frequency performance Soil ionization Grounding system Fast inverse Laplace transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gao, Y.Q., He, J.L., Zeng, R., Liang, X.D., 2002. Impulse Transient Characteristic of Grounding Grid. 3rd Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic, p.276–280. [doi:10.1109/ELMAGC.2002.1179385]Google Scholar
- Grcev, L., 1986. Calculation of the Transient Impedance of Grounding Systems. PhD Thesis, University of Zagreb, Croatian.Google Scholar
- Harrington, R.F., 2001. Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields. Wiley-IEEE Press.Google Scholar
- Ishimaru, A., 1991. Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering. Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Google Scholar
- Portela, C., 1997. Frequency and Transient Behavior of Grounding Systems, Part I. Physical and Methodological Aspects. IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, p.379–384.Google Scholar
- Shahrtash, S.M., Ramezani, N., 2008. A New Approach to Compute Transient Behavior of Grounding Electrodes in Time-Domain. Joint Int. Conf. on Power System Technology and IEEE Power India Conf., p.1–5. [doi:10.1109/ICPST.2008.4745321]Google Scholar
- Stutzman, W.L., Thiele, G.A., 1997. Antenna Theory and Design. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Tokarsky, P.L., Dolzhikov, V.V., 1998. Simple Approximate Formulas for Evaluating Sommerfeld Type Integrals. VIIth Int. Conf. on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory, p.246–248.Google Scholar
- Zhang, B., He, J., Lee, J., Cui, X., Zhao, Z., Zou, J., Chang, S., 2005. Numerical analysis of transient performance of grounding systems considering soil ionization by coupling moment method with circuit theory. IEEE Trans. Magn., 41(5):1440–1443. [doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.844547]CrossRefGoogle Scholar