Phytochemical composition, biological potential and enzyme inhibition activity of Scandix pecten-veneris L.
- 8 Downloads
Scandix pecten-veneris L. is a less studied wild edible herb and is considered an extinct plant species in many parts of the world. This study was designed to evaluate its phytochemical composition and biological potential of S. pecten-veneris L.
Phytochemicals including alkaloids, flavonoids, polyphenols, and tannins were determined in extracts of S. pecten-veneris. Antioxidant activity was determined using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), while reducing power was tested by ferric reducing/antioxidant power (FRAP) assay. Antimicrobial activity against seven bacterial and four fungal strains was evaluated using agar well diffusion assay. Enzymes inhibition study was performed for urease, phosphodiesterase-I, and catalase-II.
S. pecten-veneris showed moderate antiradical activity and reducing potential of hydroxyl radicals to about 20% of the initial value. The antioxidant activity of various extracts of S. pecten-veneris showed a linear correlation with total phenolic contents in the order of water>n-butanol>chloroform>ethyl acetate>methanol extracts. S. pecten-veneris leaves showed the highest inhibitory activity against Staphylococcus aureus while the highest antifungal activity was observed against Candida albicans. The plant extract was most potent against urease enzymes but showed moderate activity against phosphodiestrase-I and carbonic anhydrase-II.
Our data demonstrate that in addition to its culinary uses, S. pecten-veneris has good medicinal potential and hence could be used for treating some specific health ailments.
KeywordsScandix pecten-veneris L. Phytochemical composition Antioxidant activity Antimicrobial potential Enzyme inhibition
Scandix pecten-veneris L.的植物素、生物学潜力 及酶抑制活性研究
本研究旨在测定Scandix pecten-veneris L.的植物 素和评价其生物学潜力。
测定S. pecten-veneris 提取物中植物素的含量, 包括生物碱、黄酮、多酚和单宁。使用2,2-二苯 基-1-苦肼基(DPPH)测 定抗氧化活性;同时通 过铁还原/抗氧化能力(FRAP)测定还原能力; 使用琼脂扩散测定法评价对七种细菌和四种真 菌菌株的抗微 生物活性。同时,对脲酶、磷酸二 酯酶-I 和过氧化氢酶-II 进行酶抑制研究。
沙门氏菌显示出适度的抗自由基活性;羟基自由 基的潜能降至初始值的20%左右。S. pectenveneris 多种提 取物的抗氧化活性与总酚含量呈 线性相关。S. pecten-veneris 叶对金黄色葡萄球菌 表现出最高的抑制活性 ;对白色念珠菌表现出到 最高的抗真菌活性。植物提取物对脲酶的活性最 有效;对磷酸二酯酶-I和 碳酸酐酶-II 显示出中 等活性。结果表明,S. pecten-veneris 具有良好的 药用潜力,可用于治疗一些特定的疾病。
关键词Scandix pecten-veneris L. 植物素 抗氧化活性 抑菌能力 酶抑制
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aglaia LT, 2014. Scandix pecten-veneris L., a wild green leafy vegetable. Aust J Crop Sci, 81:103–108.Google Scholar
- Alli AI, Ehinmidu JO, Ibrahim YKE, 2011. Preliminary phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activities of some medicinal plants used in Ebiraland. Bayero J Pure Appl Sci, 4:10–16. https://doi.org/10.4314/bajopas.v4i1.2Google Scholar
- Ayoola GA, Coker HB, Adesegun SA, et al., 2008. Phytochemical screening and antioxidant activities of some selected medicinal plants used for malaria therapy in southwestern Nigeria. Trop J Pharm Res, 7:1019–1024. https://doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v7i3.14686Google Scholar
- Dastmalchi K, Dorman HJD, Kosar M, et al., 2007. Chemical composition and in vitro antioxidant evaluation of a aqueous soluble Moldavian balm (Dracocephalum moldavica L.) extract. Food Sci Technol, 40:239–248.Google Scholar
- Gracelin DHS, Britto AJD, Kumar PBJR, 2013. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of phytochemicals in five Pteris species. Int J Pharm Sci, 51:105–107.Google Scholar
- Hedrick UP, Sturtevant EL, 1972. Sturtevant’s Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Imran M, Talpur FN, Jan MI, et al., 2007. Analysis of nutritional component of some wild edible plants. J Chem Soc Pak, 29:500–508.Google Scholar
- Miller AL, 1996. Antioxidant flavonoids: structure, function and clinical usage. Alt Med Rev, 12:103–111.Google Scholar
- Ozyigit II, Kahraman MV, Ercan O, 2007. Relation between explants age, total phenols and regeneration response in tissue cultured cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Afr J Biotechnol, 6:3–8.Google Scholar
- Press B, Gibbons B, 1993. Photographic Field Guide to Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe, New Holland Publishers Ltd., London, UK.Google Scholar
- Shabnam M, Kowsar B, Faraz M, et al., 2015. Urease inhibitory activities of some commonly consumed herbal medicines. Iran J Pharm Res, 143:943–947.Google Scholar
- Strzelecka M, Bzowska M, Koziet J, et al., 2005. Antiinflammatory effects of extracts from some traditional Mediterranean diet plants. J Pharmacol Physiol, 56: 139–156.Google Scholar
- Tanaka T, 1976. Tanaka’s Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing, Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar
- Wadood A, Ghufran M, Jamal SB, et al., 2013. Phytochemical analysis of medicinal plants occurring in local area of Mardan. Biochem Anal Chem, 24:2–4. https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-1009.1000144Google Scholar
- Wildscreen Arkive, 2002. UK BAP Species Action Plan. http://www.arkive.org/shepherds-needle/scandix-pecten-venerisGoogle Scholar