Preliminary report of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake
- 185 Downloads
On March 11, 2011, eastern Japan was shaken by the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake (the Great East Japan Earthquake). Almost 30 000 people have been killed or are missing as a result of that earthquake and the subsequent monster tsunami, as of April 11, 2011. This paper reports several aspects of this devastating earthquake. It has been reported that long-period ground motions, which had been predicted by many researchers, occurred in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka. The response characteristics of high-rise buildings to the recorded long-period ground motions are discussed from the viewpoint of resonance and critical excitation. It is shown that high-hardness rubber dampers are very effective in the reduction of vibration duration in addition to the reduction in vibration amplitude.
Key wordsTohoku Earthquake Disaster Long-period ground motion High-rise building Critical excitation Tsunami
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Architectural Institute of Japan, 2011. Preliminary Reconnaissance Report on the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake, April 6 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Asahi Newspaper, 2011a. April 10 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Asahi Newspaper, 2011b. Evening Edition, April 19 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Drenick, R.F., 1970. Model-free design of aseismic structures. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, 96(4):483–493.Google Scholar
- Housner, G.W., Jennings, P.C., 1975. The Capacity of Extreme Earthquake Motions to Damage Structures. Structural and Geotechnical Mechanics, Hall, W.J. (Ed.), Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliff, NJ, p.102–116.Google Scholar
- Kamae, K., Kawabe, H., Irikura, K., 2004. Strong Ground Motion Prediction for Huge Subduction Earthquakes Using a Characterized Source Model and Several Simulation Techniques. Proceedings of the 13th WCEE, Vancouver, Canada, Paper No. 655.Google Scholar
- MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), 2010. Tentative Guideline for Retrofit and Design of Super High-Rise Buildings under Long-Period Ground Motion. Available from http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/house05_hh_000218.html (in Japanese) [Accessed on Jan. 11, 2011].
- NIED (National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention), 2011a. 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake, Strong Ground Motion, Emergency Meeting of Headquarters for Earthquake Research Promotion. Available from http://www.k-net.bosai.go.jp/k-net/topics/TohokuTaiheiyo_20110311/nied_kyoshin2e.pdf [Accessed on Apr. 20, 2011].
- NIED (National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention), 2011b. Recent Epicenter Map. Available from http://www.hinet.bosai.go.jp/hypomap/ (in Japanese) [Accessed on Apr. 20, 2011].
- NIED (National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention), 2011c. 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake, Strong Ground Motion. Available from http://www.kyoshin.bosai.go.jp/kyoshin/topics/html20110311144626/main_20110311144626.html (in Japanese) [Accessed on Apr. 20, 2011].
- Takewaki, I., 2006. Critical Excitation Methods in Earthquake Engineering. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Takewaki, I., 2008. Critical Excitation Methods for Important Structures. EURODYN, Southampton, England.Google Scholar