Design and preliminary experimental investigation of a 4 K Stirling-type pulse tube cryocooler with precooling
- 112 Downloads
A Stirling-type pulse tube cryocooler (PTC) with precooling was designed and manufactured to investigate its performance at 4 K. Numerical simulation was carried out based on the well-known regenerator model REGEN with an emphasis on the performance of a 4 K stage regenerator of the Stirling-type PTC as influenced by the warm end temperature, pressure ratio, frequency and average pressure with helium-4 and helium-3 as the working fluid respectively. This study demonstrates that the use of a cold inertance tube can significantly improve the efficiency of a 4 K Stirling-type PTC. A preliminary experimental investigation was carried out with helium-4 as the working fluid and a refrigeration temperature of 4.23 K was achieved. The experimental results show that the operating frequency has a significant influence on the performance of the Stirling-type PTC and a relatively low average pressure is favorable for decreasing the loss associated with the real gas effects of a 4 K Stirling-type PTC.
Key wordsStirling-type pulse tube cryocooler (PTC) Regenerator Helium-3 Cold inertance tube 4 K
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dai, L., Gan, Z.H., Qiu, L.M., Zhang, X.B., Zhang, X.J., 2007. Design of 30 Hz regenerator operating at liquid helium temperatures. Cryogenic Engineering, suppl:194–199 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, Y.H., Chen, G.B., Arp, V.D., 2006. Equation of state for fluid helium-3 based on Debye phonon model. Applied Physics Letters, 88(9):091905. [doi:10.1063/1.2178867]Google Scholar
- Nast, T., Olson, J., Roth, E., Evtimov, B., Frank, D., Champagne, P., 2007. Development of Remote Cooling Systems for Low-temperature, Space-borne Systems. Cryocoolers 14th International Cryocooler Conference, CO, USA, p.33–40.Google Scholar
- Olson, J., Champagne, P., Roth, E., Evtimov, B., Clappier, R., Nast, T., Renna, T., Martin, B., 2005. Lockheed Martin 6 K/18 K Cryocooler. Cryocoolers 13th Springer Science & Business Media, NY, USA, p.25–30. [doi:10.1007/0-387-27533-9_4]Google Scholar
- Olson, J.R., Moore, M., Champagne, P., Roth, E., Evtimov, B., Jensen, J., Collaco, A., Nast, T., 2006. Development of a Space-type 4-stage Pulse Tube Cryocooler for Very Low Temperature. Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, American Institute of Physics, NY, USA, 51:623–631. [doi:10.1063/1.2202468]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qiu, L.M., Li, Z.P., Gan, Z.H., Dai, L., 2008. Design of a 4 K Single-stage Stirling Type Pulse Tube Cooler Precooled by a G-M Type Pulse Tube Cooler. International Conference on Cryogenics and Refrigeration, Beijing, China, p.313–316.Google Scholar
- Radebaugh, R., Huang, Y., O’Gallagher, A., Gary, J., 2009. Calculated Performance of Low-porosity Regenerators at 4 K with He-4 and He-3. Cryocoolers 15th International Cryocooler Conference, CO, USA, p.325–334.Google Scholar
- Ross, R.G.Jr., 2005. A Study of the Use of 6 K ACTDP Cryocoolers for the MIRI Instrument on JWST. Cryocoolers 13th Springer Science & Business Media, NY, USA, p.15–24. [doi:10.1007/0-387-27533-9_3]Google Scholar
- Ross, R.G.Jr., Boyle, R.F., 2007. An Overview of NASA Space Cryocooler Programs-2006. Cryocoolers 14th International Cryocooler Conference, CO, USA, p.1–10.Google Scholar
- Webber, R.J., Dotsenko, V.V., Delmas, J., Kadin, A.M., Track, E.K., 2009. Evaluation of a 4 K 4-stage Pulse Tube Cryocooler for Superconducting Electronics. Cryocoolers 15th International Cryocooler Conference, CO, USA, p.657–664.Google Scholar