Effects of a flexible joint on instability of a free-free jointed bipartite beam under the follower and transversal forces
This paper deals with the problem of the instability regions of a free-free flexible jointed bipartite beam under the follower and transversal forces as a realistic simulation of a two-stage aerospace structure. The aim of this study is to analyze the effects of the characteristics of a flexible joint on the beam instability to use maximum bearable propulsion force. A parametric study is conducted to investigate the effects of the stiffness and the location of the joint on the critical follower force by the Ritz method and the Newmark method, then to research the vibrational properties of the structure. It has been shown that the nature of instability is quite unpredictable and dependent on the stiffness and the location of the joint. The increase of the follower force or the transversal force will increase the vibration of the model and consequently cause a destructive phenomenon in the control system of the aerospace structure. Furthermore, this paper introduces a new concept of the parametric approach to analyze the characteristics effects of a flexible two-stage aerospace structure joint design.
Key wordsTwo stage to orbit launch vehicle (TSTO LV) Beam instability Follower force Ritz’s method Newmark’s method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Craig, R.R.Jr., Kurdila, A.J., 2006. Fundamentals of Structural Dynamics. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New Jersey, p.513–527.Google Scholar
- Hassanpour, P.A., Cleghorn, W.L., Mills, J.K., Esmailzadeh, E., 2007. Exact solution of the oscillatory behavior under axial force of a beam with a concentrated mass within its interval. Journal of Vibration and Control, 13(12): 1723–1739. [doi:10.1177/1077546307076285]MathSciNetCrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hodges, D.H., Pierce, G.A., 2002. Introduction to Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity. The Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, Cambridge, p.59–66.Google Scholar
- Meirovitch, L., 1997. Principles and Techniques of Vibrations. Prentice-Hall International Inc., New Jersey, p.368–371.Google Scholar
- Paolone, A., Vastab, M., Luongoc, A., 2006. Flexural-torsional bifurcations of a cantilever beam under potential and circulatory forces I. Non-linear model and stability analysis. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 41(4):586–594. [doi:10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2006.02.006]CrossRefGoogle Scholar