Design and FPGA verification of a novel reliable real-time data transfer system
- 88 Downloads
Considering the increasing use of information technology with established standards, such as TCP/IP and XML in modern industrial automation, we present a high cost performance solution with FPGA (field programmable gate array) implementation of a novel reliable real-time data transfer system based on EPA (Ethernet for plant automation) protocol and IEEE 1588 standard. This combination can provide more predictable and real-time communication between automation equipments and precise synchronization between devices. The designed EPA system has been verified on Xilinx Spartan3 XC3S1500 and it consumed 75% of the total slices. The experimental results show that the novel industrial control system achieves high synchronization precision and provides a 1.59-μs standard deviation between the master device and the slave ones. Such a real-time data transfer system is an excellent candidate for automation equipments which require precise synchronization based on Ethernet at a comparatively low price.
Key wordsEthernet for plant automation (EPA) IEEE 1588 Precise synchronization Real-time data transfer
CLC numberTN919 TN47
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, G., Ye, D., Che, R.S., 2007. Developing Trend of Industrial Fieldbus Control System. Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Electronic Measurement and Instruments, Xi’an, China, p.1765–1768. [doi:10.1109/ICEMI.2007.4350563]Google Scholar
- Chu, J., 2006. Deterministic and Real-time Communication over Ethernet in EPA Control System. Sixth World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Dalian, China. p.XI–XII. [doi:10.1109/WCICA.2006.1713395]Google Scholar
- Dopatka, F., Wismuller, R., 2007. Design of a Realtime Industrial-Ethernet Network Including Hot-pluggable Asynchronous Devices. IEEE Int. Symp. on Industrial Electronics, p.1826–1831. [doi:10.1109/ISIE.2007.4374883]Google Scholar
- Feng, D.Q., Huang, W.J., Jin, J.X., Chu, J., 2003. EPA-based Open Network Control System. Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Control and Automatio, Montreal Canada, p.976–980.Google Scholar
- IEEE Std 1364, 2006. Behavioural Languages—Part 4: Verilog Hardware Description Language.Google Scholar
- Limal, S., Potier, S., Denis, B., Lesage, J.J., 2007. Formal Verification of Redundant Media Extension of Ethernet PowerLink. IEEE Conf. on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, Patras, Greece, p.1045–1052. [doi:10.1109/EFTA.2007.4416898]Google Scholar
- Pang, H., Wang, L., Ma, J.L., 2007. Research of Monitoring and Configuration Platform in Foundation Fieldbus Control System. IEEE Int. Conf. on Integration Technology, Shenzhen, China, p.756–759. [doi:10.1109/ICITECHNOLOGY.2007.4290422]Google Scholar
- Paula, D., 2005. Real Time Ethernet 2 Introduction to Real-time Solutions Available to Industry. Industrial Ethernet University. Http://www.industrialethernetu.com/courses/402_4.htm
- Xu, J., Fang, Y., 2005. Development of Fieldbus Master Integrated with Ethernet Interface. IEEE Conf. on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, Catania, Italy, p.1–4. [doi:10.1109/ETFA.2005.1612671]Google Scholar