Driving force and structural strength evaluation of a flexible mechanical system with a hydrostatic skeleton
- 157 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to build a flexible mechanical system with a hydrostatic skeleton. The main components of this system are two type flexible bags. One is a structural bag with constant inner pressure. The other is an actuator bag with controlled inner pressure. To design the system, it was necessary to estimate both structural deformation and driving force. Numerical analysis of flexible bags, however, is difficult because of large nonlinear deformation. This study analyzed structural strength and driving force of flexible bags with the nonlinear finite element analysis (FEA) software ABAQUS. The stress concentration dependency on the bag shape is described and the driving force is calculated to include the large deformation. From the analytical results, this study derives an empirical equation of driving force. The validity of the equation was confirmed by condition-changed analyses and experimental results.
Key wordsFlexible mechanical system Hydrostatic skeleton Design method Nonlinear finite element analysis (FEA)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hayakawa, Y., Pandian, S.R., 2005. Development of a Hybrid Element by using Sponge Core Soft Rubber Actuator. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, p.538–543. [doi:10.1109/ROBOT.2005.1570174]Google Scholar
- Kimura, H., Kajimura, F., Maruyama, D., Koseki, M., Inou, N., 2006. Flexible Hermetically-sealed Mobile Robot for Narrow Spaces Using Hydrostatic Skeleton Driving Mechanism. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robot and Systems, p.4006–4011. [doi:10.1109/IROS.2006.281840]Google Scholar
- Kozulin, A.A., Skripnyak, V.A., 2004. Strength Calculation of Polymer Pipeline Elements. The 8th Russian-Korean International Symposium on Science and Technology KORUS, p.29–32. [doi:10.1109/KORUS.2004.1555661]Google Scholar
- Ogden, R.W., 1997. Non-linear Elastic Deformations. Dover Publications, New York.Google Scholar
- Suzumori, K., Abe, T., 1993. Applying a Flexible Microactuators to Pipeline Inspection Robots. International Symposium on Robotics and Manufacturing System IMACS/SICE, p.515–520.Google Scholar