Alterations in seedling vigour and antioxidant enzyme activities in Catharanthus roseus under seed priming with native diazotrophs
- 201 Downloads
An experiment was conducted on Catharanthus roseus to study the effect of seed treatments with native diazotrophs on its seedling growth and antioxidant enzyme activities. The treatments had significant influence on various seedling parameters. There is no significant influence on dry matter production with the diazotrophs, Azospirillum and Azotobacter. However, the vital seedling parameters such as germination percentage and vigour index were improved. Azotobacter treatment influenced maximum of 50% germination, whereas Azospirillum and Azotobacter were on par with C. roseus with respect to their vigour index. There was significant difference in the population of total diazotrophs. Azospirillum and Azotobacter between rhizosphere and non-rhizosphere soils of C. roseus had the same trend and were observed at various locations of the study. The activities of antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), peroxidase (POX) and catalase (CAT) were increased to a significant extent due to the treatment with diazotrophs.
Key wordsRhizosphere Non-rhizosphere Azospirillum Azotobacter Antioxidant enzyme Catharanthus roseus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deka, B.C., Bora, G.C., Shadeque, A., 1992. Effect of Azospirillum on growth and yield of chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) cultivar Pusa Jawala. Haryana J. Hort. Sci., 38:41–46.Google Scholar
- Govindarajan, K., Kavitha, K., 2001. Studies on Azospirillum Associated with Rice Varities. Workshop on Recent Developments in Biofertilizers for Rice-Based Cropping System, Coimbatore, p.9–10.Google Scholar
- ISTA (International Seed Testing Association), 1976. International rules for seed testing. Seed Sci. Tech., 4:52–70.Google Scholar
- Jaleel, C.A., Gopi, R., Sankar, B., Manivannan, P., Kishorekumar, A., Sridharan, R., Panneerselvam, R., 2007. Studies on germination, seedling vigour, lipid peroxidation and proline metabolism in Catharanthus roseus seedlings under salt stress. South African Journal of Botany, 73(2):190–195. [doi:10.1016/j.sajb.2006.11.001]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumar, K.B., Khan, P.A., 1982. Peroxidase and polyphenol oxidase in excised ragi (Eleusine coracana cv. PR 202) leaves during senescence. Ind. J. Exp. Bot., 20:412–416.Google Scholar
- Lakshmanan, A., Govindarajan, K., Kumar, K., 2005. Effect of seed treatment with native diazotrophs on the seedling parameters of Senna and Ashwagandha. Crop Res., 30(1):119–123.Google Scholar