An adaptive fuzzy filter for coding artifacts removal in video and image
This paper proposes a new adaptive post-filtering algorithm to remove coding artifacts in block-based video coder. The proposed method concentrates on blocking and ringing artifacts removal. For de-blocking, the blocking strength is identified to determine the filtering range, and the maximum quantization parameter of the image is used to adapt the 1D fuzzy filter. For de-ringing, besides the edge detection, a complementary ringing detection method is proposed to locate the neglected ringing blocks, and the gradient threshold is adopted to adjust the parameter of 2D fuzzy filter. Experiments are performed on the MPEG-4 sequences. Compared with other methods, the proposed one achieves better detail preservation and artifacts removal performance with lower computational cost.
Key wordsAdaptive fuzzy filter Blocking artifacts Ringing artifacts De-blocking De-ringing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bourdon, P., Augereau, B., Olivier, C., Chatellier, C., 2004. MPEG-4 Compression Artifacts Removal on Color Video Sequences Using 3D Nonlinear Diffusion. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 3:729–732. [doi:10.1109/ICASSP.2004.1326648]Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 14496-2, 2001. Information Technology—Generic Coding of Audio-Visual Objects. Part 2: Visual. 2nd Ed., Appendix F3: Post-processing for Coding Noise Reduction.Google Scholar
- Kirenko, I.O., 2006. Reduction of Coding Artifacts Using Chrominance and Luminance Spatial Analysis. International Conference on Consumer Electronics, p.209–210. [doi:10.1109/ICCE.2006.1598384]Google Scholar
- Nie, Y., Barner, K.E., 2003. Fuzzy Transformation and its Applications. International Conference on Image Processing, 1:893–896.Google Scholar
- Nie, Y., Kong, H.S., Vetro, A., Sun, H.F., Barner, K.E., 2005. Fast Adaptive Fuzzy Post-filtering for Coding Artifacts Removal in Interlaced Video. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2:993–996. [doi:10.1109/ICASSP.2005.1415574]Google Scholar
- Yang, S., Hu, Y.H., Tull, D.L., Nguyen, T.Q., 2000. Maximum-likelihood Parameter Estimation for Image Ringing-artifact Removal. International Conference on Image Processing, 1:888–891.Google Scholar
- Yao, S.S, Lin, W.S., Lu, Z.K., Ong, E.P., Yang, X.K., 2004. Adaptive Nonlinear Diffusion Processes for Ringing Artifacts Removal on JPEG 2000 Images. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, 1:691–694.Google Scholar