A hardware/software co-optimization approach for embedded software of MP3 decoder
In order to improve the efficiency of embedded software running on processor core, this paper proposes a hardware/software co-optimization approach for embedded software from the system point of view. The proposed stepwise methods aim at exploiting the structure and the resources of the processor as much as possible for software algorithm optimization. To achieve low memory usage and low frequency need for the same performance, this co-optimization approach was used to optimize embedded software of MP3 decoder based on a 16-bit fixed-point DSP core. After the optimization, the results of decoding 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz stereo MP3 on DSP evaluation platform need 45.9 MIPS and 20.4 kbytes memory space. The optimization rate achieves 65.6% for memory and 49.6% for frequency respectively compared with the results by compiler using floating-point computation. The experimental result indicates the availability of the hardware/software co-optimization approach depending on the algorithm and architecture.
Key wordsHardware/software co-optimization DSP Embedded software MP3 decoder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, J.C., Yao, Q.D., Liu, P., Shi, C., 2004. MD16, DSP with Some RISC Features for Embedded System. IEEE Int. Conf. Signal Processing Proceedings, p.144–147.Google Scholar
- Huang, W.K., Lin, I.T., Chen, S.W., Huang, I.J., 2005. A Cost-effective Media Processor for Embedded Applications. ISCAS 2005, p.6122–6125.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 11172-3, 1993. Informational Technology—Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio for Digital: Storage Media at up to about 1.5 Mbit/s. Part 3: Audio. 1st Ed.Google Scholar
- Lee, K.S., Oh, H.O., Park, Y.C., Youn, D.H., 2001. High Quality MPEG-Audio Layer3 Algorithm for a 16-bit DSP. ISCAS 2001, p.205–208.Google Scholar
- Nattawut, T., Alex, D., 2004. Hardware-software Co-design of Resource Constrained Systems on a Chip. Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, Proceedings 24th International Conference, p.818–823.Google Scholar
- Pospiech, F., Olsen, S., 2003. Embedded Software in the SoC World. How HdS Helps to Face the HW and SW Design Challenge. Proc. IEEE, Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, p.653–658.Google Scholar
- Zhou, F., Yang, J., Shi, L.X., Zhang, Y., 2005. Hardware-software Partition of Fixed-point Hardware Accelerator from Statistical Perspective. International Conference on ASIC, p.148–151. [doi:10.1109/ICASIC.2005.1611272]Google Scholar