Improved fast intra prediction algorithm of H.264/AVC
- 46 Downloads
With advanced prediction modes of intra prediction, intra coding of H.264/AVC offers significant coding gains compared with previous video coding standards. It uses an important tool called Lagrangian rate-distortion optimization (RDO) technique to decide the best coding mode for a block, but the computational burden is extremely high. In this paper, we proposed an improved fast intra prediction algorithm including block type selection and mode decision algorithm based on analysis of edge feature of a block. Our algorithm filters out unlikely block type and candidate modes to reduce the RDO calculations. Experimental results showed that the proposed algorithm can reduce the computation complexity of intra prediction from 52.90% to 56.31%, with 0.04 dB PSNR degradation and 2% increase of bit rate.
Key wordsH.264 AVC Intra prediction Video coding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng, C.C., Chang, T.S., 2005. Fast three step intra prediction algorithm for 4/spl times/4 blocks in H.264. Circuits and Systems, 2:1509–1512.Google Scholar
- Fu, F.W., Lin, X.G., Xu, L.D., 2004. Fast Intra Prediction Algorithm in H.264/AVC. Proceeding ICIP 2004.Google Scholar
- H.264/AVC reference software JM9.5, 2005.Google Scholar
- ITU-T Rec. H.264/ISO/IEC 14496-10 AVC, 2003. Draft ITU-T Recommendation and Final Draft International-Standard of Joint Video Specification.Google Scholar
- Meng, B., Au, O.C., 2003. Fast intra-prediction mode selection for 4×4 blocks in H.264. Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal, 3(6–10):389–392.Google Scholar