Fast mode decision algorithm for spatial resolutions down-scaling transcoding to H.264
- 21 Downloads
A fast mode decision algorithm is proposed in this paper to accelerate the process of transcoding videos into H.264 with arbitrary rate spatial resolution down-scaling. The proposed algorithm consists of three steps. First, an early-stop technique is introduced to determine the 16×16-mode blocks, which take up about 70% of all the macroblocks; then, a bottom-up merging process is performed to determine the mode of rest non-early-stopped blocks; and then, we adopt half-pixel motion estimation to further refine the acquired predictive motion vectors. In order to obtain the predictive motion vectors for early-stop and merging processes, we propose a motion vector composition scheme, which can reuse the information in the input pre-encoded videos to handle the spatial resolution down-scaling. Experimental results showed that our algorithm is about four times faster than the Cascaded-Decoder-Encoder method and has negligible PSNR drop and little bit rate increase.
Key wordsTranscoding H.264 Mode decision Motion composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, A., Wong, P.H.W., Yeung, Y.M., Au, O.C., 2004. Fast multi-block selection for H.264 video coding. Inter. Sym. Circuits and Systems, 3:817–820.Google Scholar
- Kucukgoz, M., Sun, M.T., 2004. Early-stop and Motion Vector Re-using for MPEG-2 to H.264 Transcoding. Inter. Conf. SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, K., Satoch, K., Suzuki, T., Yagasaki, Y., 2001. Motion Vector Synthesis Algorithm for MPEG2-to-MPEG4 Transcoder. Visual Communications and Image Processing. San Jose, CA, p.872–882.Google Scholar
- Tu, Y.K., Yang, J.F., Shen, Y.N., Sun, M.T., 2003. Fast variable size block motion estimation using merging procedure with an adaptive threshold. Inter. Conf. Multimedia and Expo., 2:789–792.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Z., Sun, M.T., Hsu, S., 2004. Fast variable block-size motion estimation algorithms based on merge and split procedures for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. Inter. Sym. Circuits and Systems, 3:725–728.Google Scholar