Mutagenic effects of chromium trioxide on root tip cells of Vicia faba
In this study on the mutagenic effects of different concentrations of chromium trioxide (CrO3) on Vicia faba root tip, micronucleus assay and chromosome aberration assay were used to determine the mitotic indexes, micronucleus rate and chromosome aberration rate of Vicia faba root tip cells. The results showed that the effects of CrO3 concentration on the mitotic indexes were complicated. CrO3 increases the micronucleus rate of Vicia faba root tip cells. It was found that within certain range of CrO3 concentration the micronucleus rate increased systematically with increased concentration of CrO3, but that the micronucleus rate decreased at higher level of CrO3 and that CrO3 also caused various types of chromosome aberration at a rate which increased systematically with increased concentration of CrO3. We concluded that CrO3 has significant mutagenic effect on Vicia faba root tip cells.
Key wordsChromium trioxide (CrO3) Vicia faba Mitotic index Micronucleus rate Rate of chromosome aberration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dai, M., Wu, Q., Zhou, X.Y., 1995. Application micronucleus technique of Vicia faba root tip cells to detect the mutagenesis of TNT and air in workshop. Carcinogenesis, Teratogenesis and Mutagenesis, 7(1):58–61 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Edward, J.D., Karen, E.W., 1994. Chromium (VI)-induced cytotoxicity and DNA damage occur via two distinct pathways: An oxidative pathway and direct chromium-DNA interaction. Met Ions Biol Med, (3):175–180.Google Scholar
- Li, H., 1997. Studies on abnormality of Wheat root tip cells induced by saturation solution of dichlorbenzol. J. Yuahou University (Natural Science), 14(1):36–42 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, N., Wang, Z.X., Yan, X.Q., 1995. The effect of Vitamin C and Vitamin E on mutagenesis induced by chromium F. J. of China Public Health, 14(3):158–159 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, H., Chen, C., Chen, Q.Y., 1997. The effect of chromium F on the sperm of male workers. Carcinogenesis, Teratogenesis and Mutagenesis, 9(1):11–13 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Liu, S.J., Gu, Z.W., Lu, Q.M., 1991. The identification of harm induced by low concentration of chromic acid mist. Chin. J. of Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Disease, 9(4):199–201 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Qian, X.W., 1998. Improvement on experiment method of micronucleus in root tip cells of Vicia faba. Journal of Wenzhou Normal College, 19(6):64–65 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xing, H.T., Liang, W.F., 1997. On the effect Chinese Lacquer upon the cell division of root tip of Allium cepa. Acta Genetica Sinica, 24(1):50–53 (in Chinese).Google Scholar