Geometrical nonlinear stability analyses of cable-truss domes
The nonlinear finite element method is used to analyze the geometrical nonlinear stability of cabletruss domes with different cable distributions. The results indicate that the critical load increases evidently when cables, especially diagonal cables, are distributed in the structure. The critical loads of the structure at different rise-span ratios are also discussed in this paper. It was shown that the effect of the tensional cable is more evident at small rise-span ratio. The buckling of the structure is characterized by a global collapse at small rise-span ratio; that the torsional buckling of the radial truss occurs at big rise-span ratio; and that at proper rise-span ratio, the global collapse and the lateral buckling of the truss occur nearly simultaneously.
Key wordsCable-truss dome Geometrical nonlinear stability analysis Parameter analysis Cable distribution Critical load
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cao, Z. and Ketter, R. L., 1991. Seismic modeling of Truss Stiffened Cable System.International Journal of Space Structure,6(1): 18–25.Google Scholar
- Chen, W. J. and Dong, S. L., 2001. Generalized incremental algorithm for nonlinear structural analysis.Engineering Mechanics,18(3): 28–33 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Chen, W. J., Fu, G. Y., Gong, J. H. and Dong, S. L., 2002. Instability behavior of partial double-layer latticeribbed domes.Spatial structure,8(1): 19–28 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hangai, Y. and Kawaguchi, K., 1990. Analysis for shapefinding process of unstable structures.Bulletin of IASS,30(100): 111–128Google Scholar
- Karoumi, R., 1996. Dynamic response of cable-stayed bridges to moving vehicles. IABSE 15th Congress, Denmark, p.87–92.Google Scholar
- Leonard, J. W., 1988. Tension Structure. McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y. and Motro, R., 1995. Shape analysis and internal forces in unstable structures. Proc. IASS Int. Symposium,2: 819–826.Google Scholar
- Song, T. X., 1996. Finite element analysis of nonlinear structures. Press of Huazhong University of science and technology, Wuhan (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Walther, R., Houriet, B., Isler, W. and Moia P., 1988. Cable Stayed Bridges. Thomas Telford, London.Google Scholar
- Wang, S. T. and Jiang, Z. R., 1999. The static analysis and study of dynamic characteristics of the cable-truss structure.Journal of Building structure,20(3): 2–7 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xie, Y. Z. and Chen, Q. Z., 1989. Design and construction of the cable-truss.Composite structure of Anhui gymnasium,10(6): 71–79 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhang, L. X. and Shen, Z. Y., 2000. Numerical models for cable element in prestressed cable structures.Spatial structure,6(2): 18–23 (in Chinese).Google Scholar