Determining driving resistance with rebound of pile-top during pile driving
- 66 Downloads
This paper presents a method to determine driving resistance with rebound of pile-top during pile driving. The soil around the pile shaft is assumed to be rigid-plastic, while that under the pile-tip is assumed to be ideally elastoplastic. The driving force acting on the pile-top is simplified to a triangular impact force. The kinematic equation of the pile-tip is established. From the one-dimensional wave equation, the movements of the pile-tip and pile-top are determined. The rebound at the pile-top can be written in a very concise form. It is shown that the shaft resistance makes the rebound at the pile-top decrease. In particular, when the pile is very long or the soil around the pile is very stiff, the decrease is very obvious.
Key wordspile pile driving soil resistance Smith model rebound
CLC numberTU473.1+ 3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, R. P., Chen Y. M., 2000. Theoretical study on effect of pile shaft resistance on rebound during pile driving. Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles, Brazil.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. M., Wu, S. M., Weele, A. F., et al. 1996. Determining soil resistance from pile driving by using an accelerometer. Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles, USA.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. M., Chen, R. P., Wu, S. M., 1997. Determining Static Resistance at Pile-tip during driving with Acceleration of pile-top.Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering,19(6): 16–21 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Smith, E. A. L. 1960. Pile driving analysis by the wave equation.J. Soil Mech. & Found. Eng. Div. ASCE,86(4). p. 35–61.Google Scholar
- Uto, K., Fuyuki, M. and Omori, H., 1992. New development of pile driving management system. Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Application of Stress-wave Theory to Piles. the Hague, p. 351–356.Google Scholar
- Weele, A. F. and Schellingerhout, A. F. G., 1994. Efficient driving of precast concrete piles. Proc. Conf. Development in Geotech. Eng., Bangkok.Google Scholar