On-chip optical interconnect using visible light
- 65 Downloads
We propose and fabricate a monolithic optical interconnect on a GaN-on-silicon platform using a wafer-level technique. Because the InGaN/GaN multiple-quantum-well diodes (MQWDs) can achieve light emission and detection simultaneously, the emitter and collector sharing identical MQW structure are produced using the same process. Suspended waveguides interconnect the emitter with the collector to form in-plane light coupling. Monolithic optical interconnect chip integrates the emitter, waveguide, base, and collector into a multi-component system with a common base. Output states superposition and 1×2 in-plane light communication are experimentally demonstrated. The proposed monolithic optical interconnect opens a promising way toward the diverse applications from in-plane visible light communication to light-induced artificial synaptic devices, intelligent display, on-chip imaging, and optical sensing.
Key wordsHomogeneous integration Multiple-quantum-well diode Visible light interconnection Coexistence of light emission and photodetection
CLC numberTN491 E963
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dai, Q., 2017. Functional imaging of one million neurons at synaptic resolution simultaneously with a novel videorate, sub-gigapixel microscopy at centimeter scale fieldof-view, sub-micron resolution. CSH Asia Conf. on Primate Neuroscience: Perception, Cognition and Disease Models, in press.Google Scholar
- Li, X., Shi, Z., Zhu, G., et al., 2014. High efficiency membrane light emitting diode fabricated by back wafer thinning technique. Appl. Phys. Lett., 105(3):2211–2213. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4890859Google Scholar
- Li, X., Zhu, G., Gao, X., et al., 2015. Suspended p-n junction InGaN/GaN multiple-quantum-well device with selectable functionality. IEEE Photon. J., 7(6):1–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOT.2015.2499544Google Scholar
- Schubert, E.F., Gessmann, T., Kim, J.K., 2005. Light Emitting Diodes. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/0471238961. 1209070811091908.a01.pub2Google Scholar
- van Zeghbroeck, B., Harder, C., Meier, H.P., et al., 1989. Photon transport transistor. Int. Technical Digest on Electron Devices Meeting, p.543–546. https://doi.org/10.1109/IEDM.1989.74340Google Scholar
- Vučić, J., Kottke, C., Nerreter, S., et al., 2010. 513 Mbit/s visible light communications link based on DMT-modulation of a white LED. J. Lightw. Technol., 28(24):3512–3518. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2010.2089602Google Scholar