Design and simulation of a standing wave oscillator based PLL
- 94 Downloads
A standing wave oscillator (SWO) is a perfect clock source which can be used to produce a high frequency clock signal with a low skew and high reliability. However, it is difficult to tune the SWO in a wide range of frequencies. We introduce a frequency tunable SWO which uses an inversion mode metal-oxide-semiconductor (IMOS) field-effect transistor as a varactor, and give the simulation results of the frequency tuning range and power dissipation. Based on the frequency tunable SWO, a new phase locked loop (PLL) architecture is presented. This PLL can be used not only as a clock source, but also as a clock distribution network to provide high quality clock signals. The PLL achieves an approximately 50% frequency tuning range when designed in Global Foundry 65 nm 1P9M complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) technology, and can be used directly in a high performance multi-core microprocessor.
Key wordsStanding wave oscillator (SWO) Clock distribution Phase locked loop (PLL) Varactor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andress, W., Ham, D., 2004. Recent developments in standing-wave oscillator design: review. Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp., p.119–122. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/RFIC.2004.1320545Google Scholar
- Chan, S.C., Shepard, K.L., Restle, P.J., 2003. Design of resonant global clock distributions. 21st Int. Conf. on Computer Design, p.248–253. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICCD.2003.1240902Google Scholar
- Chan, S.C., Restle, P.J., Shepard, K.L., et al., 2004. A 4.6 GHz resonant global clock distribution network. IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., p.342–343. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISSCC.2004.1332734Google Scholar
- Cordero, V.H., Khatri, S.P., 2008. Clock distribution scheme using coplanar transmission lines. Design, Automation and Test in Europe, p.985–990. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/DATE.2008.4484809Google Scholar
- Mandal, A., Karkala, V., Khatri, S.P., et al., 2011. Interconnected tile standing wave resonant oscillator based clock distribution circuits. 24th Int. Conf. on VLSI Design, p.82–87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/VLSID.2011.70Google Scholar
- O’Mahony, F., 2003. 10 GHz Global Clock Distribution Using Coupled Standing-Wave Oscillators. PhD Thesis, Stanford University, USA.Google Scholar