Changes in peripheral blood inflammatory factors (TNF-α and IL-6) and intestinal flora in AIDS and HIV-positive individuals
In this study, we investigated the changes in peripheral blood inflammatory factors and intestinal flora in acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive individuals (AIDS/HIV patients), and explored the relationships among intestinal flora, peripheral blood inflammatory factors, and CD4+ T lymphocytes.
Thirty blood and stool samples from an AIDS group and a control group were collected. The levels of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), and the number of CD4+ T lymphocytes by a FACSCount automated instrument. Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) was used to determine the messenger RNA (mRNA) levels of Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, Escherichia coli, Enterococcus faecalis, and Enterococcus faecium. Correlations among intestinal flora, inflammatory factor levels, and CD4+ T lymphocyte values were evaluated using the Spearman correlation coefficient.
The levels of TNF-α and IL-6 in the AIDS group were higher than those in the control group, while the number of CD4+ T lymphocytes was lower. The amounts of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus in the AIDS group were significantly lower than those in control group, while the amounts of E. coli, E. faecalis, and E. faecium were much higher. The amounts of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus were negatively correlated with the content of TNF-α and IL-6 and the CD4+ T lymphocyte count, while those correlations were reversed for E. coli, E. faecalis, and E. faecium.
The intestinal microbiota of AIDS/HIV patients were disordered, and there was a correlation between the amount of intestinal flora and the number of CD4+ T lymphocytes and the levels of TNF-α and IL-6.
KeywordsAcquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) Tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) Interleukin-6 (IL-6) Intestinal flora CD4+ T lymphocytes
AIDS 和 HIV 阳性个体外周血炎症因子 (TNF-α 和 IL-6) 和肠道菌群的变化研究
本研究探究获得性免疫缺陷综合征 (AIDS) 和人类免疫缺陷病毒 (HIV) 阳性个体患者外周血炎症因子和肠道菌群的变化, 同时探讨了肠道菌群、 外周血炎症因子和CD4+ T 淋巴细胞之间的关系。
首次探讨了 AIDS 和 HIV 阳性个体患者中肠道菌群、 外周血炎症因子和 CD4+ T 淋巴细胞之间的关系。
从艾滋病组和对照组分别收集 30 份血液和粪便样本。 使用酶联免疫吸附测定 (ELISA) 法测定肿瘤坏死因子 (TNF-α) 和白细胞介素-6 (IL-6) 的水平; 用流式细胞仪测定 CD4+ T 淋巴细胞数目; 采用实时定量聚合酶链式反应 (qRT-PCR) 法检测双歧杆菌、 乳酸菌、 大肠杆菌、 粪肠球菌和屎肠球菌的 mRNA 水平; 采用 Spearman 分析肠道菌群、 炎症因子与 CD4+ T 淋巴细胞之间的相关性。
不但 AIDS/HIV 患者体内肠道菌群紊乱, 而且肠道菌群数量与 CD4+ T 淋巴细胞数量以及T NF-α、 IL-6 水平存在相关性。
关键词获得性免疫缺陷综合征 肿瘤坏死因子 (TNF-α) 白细胞介素-6 (IL-6) 肠道菌群 CD4+ T 淋巴细胞
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Jing LU and Sai-sai MA: conception and design of this study, and analysis of data. Wei-ying ZHANG and Jian-ping DUAN: revising the article critically for important intellectual content. All authors have read and approved the final manuscript. Therefore, all authors have full access to all the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity and security of the data.
Compliance with ethics guidelines
Jing LU, Sai-sai MA, Wei-ying ZHANG, and Jian-ping DUAN declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2008 (5). Informed consent was obtained from all patients for being included in the study.
- Fragoso JM, Vargas Alarcón G, Jiménez Morales S, et al., 2014. Tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) in autoimmune diseases (AIDs): molecular biology and genetics. Gac Méd Méx, 150%(4):334–344 (in Spanish).Google Scholar
- He YW, Cai WP, Cen YW, et al., 2014. A preliminary study on intestinal microflora of AIDS patients and its correlation with CD4+ T lymphocytes. Guangdong Med J, 35%(14):2172–2174 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-9448.2014.14.012 Google Scholar
- Lei Y, Wang KH, Gong KM, et al., 2012. Real-time fluorescence quantitative PCR analysis of intestinal flora in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome. J Pract Med, 28%(1):69–71 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1006-5725.2012.01.030 Google Scholar
- Li L, Zhong Q, 2017. Correlation of intestinal microflora with cytokines and Toll-like receptors expression in patients with ulcerative colitis. Infect Dis Inf, 30%(6):361–364 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1007-8134.2017.06.012 Google Scholar
- Márquez M, del Álamo CFG, Girón-González JA, 2016. Gut epithelial barrier dysfunction in human immunodeficiency virus-hepatitis C virus coinfected patients: influence on innate and acquired immunity. World J Gastroenterol, 22%(4):1433–1448. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v22.i4.1433 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Quiloan MLG, Vu J, Carvalho J, 2012. Enterococcus faecalis can be distinguished from Enterococcus faecium via differential susceptibility to antibiotics and growth and fermentation characteristics on mannitol salt agar. Front Biol, 7%(2):167–177. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11515-012-1183-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ren FN, 2018. Analysis on the influence of traditional Chinese medicine comprehensive intervention on AIDS/HIV patients. Guangming J Chin Med, 33%(11):1585–1587 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1003-8914.2018.11.026 Google Scholar