Determination of reinforced concrete durability with on-site resistivity measurements
- 574 Downloads
Concrete quality can be tested on site by coring or non-destructive testing. This paper describes a method based on the four-point or Wenner procedure for measuring electrical resistivity, deployed on a bridge over the River Danube between Vidin, Bulgaria and Calafat, Romania. Due to the high reinforcement density in bridge members, a model had to be developed to measure resistivity in the concrete cover and the instruments conventionally used had to be modified. The findings for the over 900 measurements recorded, which covered most of the bridge, showed that the concrete quality was higher than specified in 99.25 % of the readings.
KeywordsResistivity Durability Concrete Rebar Reinforced concrete structure
The support received from FCC, a Spanish builder, and in particular from Rafael Huerga, Carlos J. Velazquez and Aurelio Rodriguez, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 2.Andrade C, d’ Andrea R (2008) Electrical resistivity as microstructural parameter for the calculation of reinforcement service life. In: Sun W et al (ed) Microstructure related durability of cementitious composites, vols 1 and 2, RILEM Publications, Bagneux, pp 1483–1490Google Scholar
- 9.Andrade C et al (2014) Evolution of corrosion parameters in a buried pilot nuclear waste container in el Cabril. In: MRS Online Proceedings Library, vol 1665. pp 215–224Google Scholar
- 12.Gowers KR, Millard SG (1999) Measurement of concrete resistivity for assessment of corrosion severity of steel using Wenner technique. ACI Mater J 96(5):536–541Google Scholar
- 14.Garzon AJ et al (2012) Shape factors of four point resistivity method in presence of rebars. In: Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting III—Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting, ICCRRR 2012Google Scholar
- 16.Salehi M, Ghods P, Burkan Isgor O (2014) Numerical investigation of the role of embedded reinforcement mesh on electrical resistivity measurements of concrete using the Wenner probe technique. Mater Struct 49(1):301–316Google Scholar
- 19.Florez Llanos F, Diaz De Argote JI, Jimenez Aguilar JR (2014) Danube Bridge II. Vidin-Calafat. Construction Methodology. IABSE Symposium Report, vol 102, No 17. pp 1882–1887Google Scholar
- 20.Manterola J et al (2014) Construction and design features of the Bridge over the Danube River. Bulgaria. IABSE Symposium Report, vol 102, No 21. pp 1216–1220Google Scholar