Annihilation mechanisms of e+e− and μ+μ− production in relativistic nuclear collisions
- 23 Downloads
We revise the μ+μ− and \(q\bar q\) annihilation mechanisms of dilepton production during relativistic nuclear collisions. We focus on the modifications caused by the specific features of in-medium pion and quark states rather than by medium modification of the ρ-meson spectral density. The main ingreditent emerging in our approach is a form-factor of the multi-pion (multi-quark) system. Replacing the usual delta-function the form-factor plays the role of distribution which, in some sense, “connects” the total 4-momenta of the annihilating and outgoing particles. The difference between the c.m.s. velocities attributed to annihilating and outgoing particles is a particular consequence of this replacement and results in the appearance of a new factor in the formula for the lepton pair production rate. We obtained that the form-factor of the multi-pion (multi-quark) system causes broadening of the rate which is most pronounced for small invariant masses, in particular, we obtain a growth of the rate for the invariant masses below two masses of the annihilating particles.
Keywordsrelativistic heavy ion collisions dilepton production pion and quark annihilation off-shell effects
PACS11.10.Wx 70.Ln 25.75.-q
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. Agakichiev et al., Phys. Lett. B422 (1998) 405.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Gale and K.L. Haglin, hep-ph/0306098.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Anchishkin, V. Khryapa and V. Ruuskanen, hep-ph/0210346.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Anchishkin, V. Khryapa, R. Naryshkin and V. Ruuskanen, Ukrainian J. Phys. 49 (2004) 1039.Google Scholar
- 11.H. van Hees, J. Knoll, Nucl. Phys. A683 (2000) 369 [hep-ph/0007070].Google Scholar